PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

What a whiner

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

What a whiner

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 20, 2000 12:29 pm

<A HREF="http://www.dallasnews.com/sports_day/colleges/football/242378_20ltdiary.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.dallasnews.com/sports_day/colleges/football/242378_20ltdiary.html</A>

LaDanian Tomlinson shows no gratitude to TCU

Re: What a whiner

Postby PK » Wed Dec 20, 2000 3:08 pm

I think you need to re-read that article. He is not ungrateful to TCU, just not happy with the lack of respect shown TCU and him by the sports media. He probably isn't too thrilled by the lack of respect they get from us Mustang fans either. ;-)
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 20, 2000 5:05 pm

As much as I hate to admit it, I have to say Tomlinson seems like a class act. Nobody hates to see TCU be as successful as they are as me, but the guy deserves some respect. But like he say, TCU will never get it, no matter their record.

Postby FWMustang » Wed Jan 03, 2001 11:50 am

If he wants to complain, complain about the $80K that was spent for his promotion without coming up with a "story." No matter what the guy did on the field, people like and remember a story to go along with the stats. Tomlinson's story was that TCU is a small nobody school that plays small nobody schools and he racks up 200-300 yds per game. Sorry, but that's not a story. Fran was the story.

FSU & OU didn't have to make up stories; they came with the package.

Weinke: 28-year-old played baseball. Bowden saved him a scholarship after 6 years. Kid wins National Championship.

Heupel: Nobody looked at him out of high school. Went to JUCO. New young coach Stoops gives him a shot. He dominates.

You've got to have a story. Ron Dayne - Broke all the records. Ricky Williams - broke all of the records before Dayne. Plays baseball. Takes care of his mom and sisters with money he makes from baseball. A really good kid. Very self efacing.

Sorry, LaDanian. You just weren't very interesting to the voters.
Go RED! Go BLUE! Go MUSTANGS! S-M-U!!
FWMustang
Varsity

Postby BleedingRed+Blue » Wed Jan 03, 2001 12:30 pm

Couldn't agree with you more!

LT wasn't interesting, and neither was his team. And I live in Fort Worth. They tried to act like the city was in love with the "home town team" again, now that they started winning, but this town just doesn't care about the frogs .... which is understandable.
BleedingRed+Blue
All-American

Postby PerunaPunch » Fri Jan 05, 2001 12:07 pm

Unfortunately Bleeding Red Blue, I think you'll have to admit that when it comes to apathy, Dallas has Ft. Worth beat hands down. SMU is Dallas' college. Therefore, Dallas is a college town. A Texas college town to boot. We should have no problem filling the stands.

Remember Mustang Mania?

I think, more than anything, this is due to consistently poor marketing on SMU's part. Look how many seat they filled at Ford Stadium on opening day. We had nothing even close to that the rest of the season. Hell, you figure after that first big win, there'd be even more people the following week.

I think TCU was trying to pull a "Mustang Mania" with their "Home Team" campaign. It was offensive to me as a Mustang, but from a marketing perspective, it was pretty good as it targeted audiences beyond alumni. SMU and TCU aren't like UT or A&M with zillions of resident alumni and huge student populations. We'll have to court Metroplex college football fans to adopt our home team if we want to consistnely fill the stands.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Return to Football