PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Warrie Birdwell and Lute Croy

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Warrie Birdwell and Lute Croy

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 14, 2001 5:32 pm

As I see it, these two could be the key to our season next year. For all the attention Aaron Schobel got last year (and deservedly so) at TCU, every coach I talked to said the reason he was so effective was because Shawn Worthen was killing people inside - he's 305 or so, freakishly strong and really nasty. Lute Croy is almost 300 pounds and Birdwell is not that big yet but has the frame to carry that weight. If they get in the weight room and become overpoweringly strong, they can free up Aldridge and Pratt to have the year we all hoped they'd have last year, and also occupy blockers so Vic Viloria and the rest of the linebackers can run free to make tackles.

Re: Warrie Birdwell and Lute Croy

Postby ponytalk » Sun Jan 14, 2001 11:31 pm

I heard that we signed a 280 lb D linemen. Bus, you should be pretty happy about that!
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby SMUPonyFan » Fri Jan 26, 2001 2:50 pm

I saw Warrie Birdwell the other day, he has gained some weight, or at least it looked like it. Way to go Warrie! He had a pretty good season this year, now on to a better one!
We just need some more depth at DL, like OL. The key to a successful Dline is depth and rotation. We need JD healthy and Medlin and Helmey to step up big time. That would give us 6 at the position, not counting a few freshmen coming in.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby Hilltopper » Mon Jan 29, 2001 6:50 pm

6? Birdwell, Croy, Hemley, Medlin, Post and ....??? Hope that DT from Louisiana can play early.
Hilltopper
All-American

Postby SMUPonyFan » Mon Jan 29, 2001 10:06 pm

I said if JD Blagg is healthy, then that will be the sixth. Then we have a few fish coming in.

------------------
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby PonyDad » Sun Feb 04, 2001 6:25 pm

FYI, Helmey has decided to drop out of the program. As a walk-on, he didn't really see much light at the end of the tunnel and 2 years of scout team is enough. He was probably too small at 250 for DT and too slow for DE. FYI, Adami was moved to DT last year and will be the 6th DT along with the new recruits. Hopefully, JD will be healthy and be able to contribute next year. Drew enjoyed being part of the program and he wishes the team the best for next year.
PonyDad

Postby PonyExpress » Mon Feb 05, 2001 3:55 pm

Thanks for the update, PonyDad! Best of luck to Drew and to all of you.
PonyExpress
Junior Varsity

Return to Football