PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Cedric Vinson

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Cedric Vinson

Postby Ponymon » Mon Jan 15, 2001 12:20 am

Cedric Vinson is the only recruit that we have gotten so far that was listed in Tom Lemmings Prep Football preseason report. Lemming has him as the third best quarterback recruit in Texas rating him 3 stars out of 4. Only Joseph Addai of Houston Sharpstown and Davon Vinson of Kilgore were rated higher. Vinson was listed at 6'0", 185 pounds and runs a 4.36 forty. Lemming says that, "During my summer trek through the state of Texas I happened upon a couple of great athletes at Diboll with Cedric being a bit of a surprise. I knew this young man could run, but he showed great ball handling skills, a live arm and terrific awareness at the QB position. Completed 75 of 149 passes for 1300 yards and 24 TDs in '99 with just 6 picks while also running for 1,089 yards an 16 TDs on just 200 carries. His ability to throw while on the run is second to none. Prep coaches in the area tell me that when playing Diboll they have to account for Cedric at all times. He is a game breaker who can beat you on any given play. Was voted his conference's Offensive Player of the Year. In basketball he averages 22 points and 13 rebounds a game as a PG and in track he has been timed in an 11.1 100 and a 23 flat 200 meters. In the classroom he is an A student. He only plays QB in high school, but the coacheslove his explosiveness and all around athletic ability and he could also wind up playing CB. A good bet for All-American honors. Lists TX, Notre Dame, KS, LSU, SMU and TX A$M.

Additionally, the other kid from Diboll was a 3 star rated linebacker named Jeremy Freeman 6'2", 223 lbs, 4.8 who also listed SMU as a consideration.

[This message has been edited by Ponymon (edited 01-14-2001).]
Ponymon
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Cedric Vinson

Postby SMUPonyFan » Mon Jan 15, 2001 12:49 am

Caution PonyMon, you are stepping in Recruiting Guru's territory. Thanks for the information, the Guru might have some competition!

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby kangaroo » Mon Jan 15, 2001 12:55 am

You mention a couple of sources in your posts. Do they have websites or strictly newsletter? I would appreciate an address so I can contact them next year. It helps to have more than one of two prospectives.
kangaroo

Postby Ponymon » Mon Jan 15, 2001 1:02 am

These are two of the best known newsletter/magazines. SuperPrep has a web site at <A HREF="http://www.superprep.com." TARGET=_blank>www.superprep.com.</A> I'm not sure what Lemmings site is and the magazine doesn't say. You can also go to <A HREF="http://www.maxemfinger.com" TARGET=_blank>www.maxemfinger.com</A> for information from another source, but I believe Emfinger now is owned by rivals.com.
Ponymon
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MustangFan » Mon Jan 15, 2001 1:21 pm

The key number in Ponymon's report: 4.36. Great wheels. Line him up with Freeman, and watch the speed.
MustangFan
All-American

Return to Football