PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Question to BamaStang

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Question to BamaStang

Postby ponytalk » Thu Feb 08, 2001 3:54 am

I have not kept up with this, what is the latest on Bama and Fran getting the DP. What is your take on it. I personally don't know much at all about it. I just don't see anyone, except us, getting the DP. Especially a big state school like Alabama who has a long football tradition.
ponytalk
Varsity

Re: Question to BamaStang

Postby BamaMustang » Thu Feb 08, 2001 1:16 pm

I haven't watched the situation very closely. I have instead just sat back and let out a smile or two everytime something happens to him/them sorry if that is wrong! However I do find comfort in Frans problems. As far as I can tell it seems like Bama is looking at heavy scholarship losses, losing official visits, and a limited number of coaches that can recruit (such as 4 instead of the legal 7),also look for them to lose a few of the all important In-Home Visits with the Head Coach. The losses of official visits and losing a number of In-Homes would be very hurtful as well as the schollies. I may be wrong but I think before it's over you may here Franny quoting Jim Wacker wishing he had just gotten the DP, that a fresh start would be easier. Now I think this is as rough as it could be so all this is "Worst Case Scenario". I personally do not think the DP will ever be used again. The conference commissioners with all the Bowl games and TV revenue would throw a fit now if it happened again. I think we have also just about seen the end of Bowl and TV bans as well. In the future the punishment of choice will be purely schollies and punishment anchored toward recruitment. I agree doesnt seem there will be any other DP cases. You probably can tell what Alabama will get by seeing what Kentucky ends up with and then lessening it by a bit. No money trail has been found yet with the Tide ,but with UK it has. I apologize for the copious amounts of errors that surely reside in this.
BamaMustang

Postby BamaMustang » Thu Feb 08, 2001 1:54 pm

Now with all that said a major radio talk host/TV news Sports/Birmingham News Writer Paul Finebaum said this yesterday about Fran and Bama.

A. Memphis situation will eventually come down to the recruitment of Kendall Moorehead. Alabama is headed for major sanctions out of Memphis. "Alabama will wish it got the death penalty by the time these major sanctions hit".

B. Coach Fran hasn't signed his contract and it is possible (although not likely) that he will never coach a game for the University.

C. Coach Frans agent was trying to get him the Miami job last week.
BamaMustang

Postby MustangFan » Thu Feb 08, 2001 4:29 pm

Don't fool yourself -- Bama will never get the DP (too much money being raised for the NCAA through packed-house stadium and through lucrative SEC television contract.) Also, Fran isn't leaving Bama. Miami promoted an assistant coach, and Bama spent too much $$$ on the head frog.
MustangFan
All-American

Postby portland pony » Thu Feb 08, 2001 8:53 pm

Bama Mustang - what part of the great state of Alabama are you currently residing in? I lived there for several years and allways found Paul Finebaum to be a very credible source, although I felt he was allways leaned a little more towards Alabama than Auburn (War Eagle thank you very much). Any way it will be interesting to see where this whole thing ends up with Bama. I have to think that Fran is wishing he had taken the AZ State job now.
portland pony

Return to Football