PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Typical SMU

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Typical SMU

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 12, 2001 6:39 pm

I don't know if many of you are aware of recent occurrences at SMU and what is going on involving football, but it seems worse to me. Coach C and his staff have taken over the strength program and are now excellent strength coaches as well football coaches. Big Mike decided that he and his staff know more about what is going on in the weight room and now put the players through weight workouts. I know many people do not think much of Coach Jost (Strength Coach) and his staff but let me tell you a lot of other people do and I will address that momentarily. News on the players health that I have received is that it is getting worse. There are now more back problems as well as other things that are a result of doing too much too bad. From what I understand, the new workouts have their positive points but, most of what is happening seems to be tearing bodies apart. Who knows, maybe these guys will take the field and be rocks of granite and out perform everyone due to there new strength program and I hope that is what happens so we can start winning. Now back to Coach Jost. Many people do not think this guy is good but let me tell you the guy is good. I do not know if SMU has released the news that he is leaving and to where so I won't go into any details but let me tell you, SMU let something good get away once again. Coach Jost got the head job at THE and I mean THE primere football program in the nation. He did not go looking for it, they came to him and that justifies how highly thought of in the S&C field. It just infuriates me that the people who are running this program are so ignorant. It has been nice talking to everyone after a couple of months away from the site but I'm back and everyone remember one thing...REMEMBER THE FAT KIDS!!!

Re: Typical SMU

Postby FWMustang » Mon Feb 12, 2001 6:56 pm

How is he the premier S&C coach if we have guys going down during conditioning week, guys puking in the middle of games and sometimes just getting beat up for the last 4 years? When I was around him, he did not impress me at all.

From what I remember, Coach Napier was always Cavan's S&C coach and was going to replace Jost, but he left to coach HS in Tenn.

Size can be made up for by technique & strength and most of our guys never seem to have very much of either. Coaches taking over weightlifting programs seems pretty silly to me, considering all they have to do, but surely there is somebody better.

Cavan ought to have plenty of time & energy to do it since he doesn't do a whole lot out on the field in practice.
Go RED! Go BLUE! Go MUSTANGS! S-M-U!!
FWMustang
Varsity

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 12, 2001 7:27 pm

Nice post stanglover. Few can match your poetic style. Enjoyed the other night. I should have gone home when you did. I was hurting yesterday.

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 12, 2001 7:29 pm

and one more thing. I doubt that information concerning Coach Jost is something SMU wants to announce. They probably want it to come and go quietly.

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 12, 2001 7:30 pm

FWmustang, did you have an incredible bench press when you were here because I think I know you. Now as far as people falling out during conditioning week or throwing up in games, lets think about some things. The guys that fell out during the conditioning week were the guys that put half [deleted] effort into summer workouts and are all around half [deleted]. Throwing up in games, I believe you and I both know that no amount of off-season conditioning will prepare you for a game. That falls on the part of the "football coaches." The strength coach can only get you in good enough shape to help you make it through two-a-days by having a solid foundation, the football coaches have the job of preparing you for a game. Besides, I don't care how great of an athlete you are, if you play long enough you are going to throw up in a game. It is true that Napert was Cavan's strength coach when he came here. It was the plan to run Jost off but Naper himself told Cavan it would be stupid because this guy really knows what he is talking about. How do I know this? I have been to Chattanooga twice in the last two years to see Chris Sanders play and have talked to Napier on both occasions. Napier will be the first to sing Jost's praises. Sure some results have not been seen here but I will tell you why, it is because the athletes here do not take advantage of his knowledge. One word and it has plagued SMU for years: Premadonas. The Mustangs have always been filled with too many of these in the last few years. You can doubt me and Coach Jost all you want but you just don't get a job where he just got one by being average.

Postby Texastang » Mon Feb 12, 2001 8:28 pm

Stanglover, thanks man! It is good to see some interesting points brought up by some guys who know what the heck they are talking about. Sorry Dirty Bird, I wasn't talking to you. Anyway just wanted to say thanks and glad to see you back on the site. Talk to ya later! R.T.F.K.! (I like that)
Texastang
Scout Team

Postby Big D » Mon Feb 12, 2001 11:35 pm

Where's he going,man? Don't leave us in this much suspense! Hints? Something?
Big D
Scout Team

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 13, 2001 9:56 am

I would like to tell ya'll, but I don't think I should go into any great details just yet because I do not think SMU has. They should be the first to let it out.

Postby smudad » Tue Feb 13, 2001 3:19 pm

If had to guess, the guy probably had -0- authority. He may have been the best in the business. I have no real idea. I do know that for the last couple of years, we seemed to have been out muscled in many games. Great programs (weight) involve compliance. If guys come and go if and when they please the program wouldn't matter.

I doubt if Cavan really knows S&C that well. What he should bring to the table is the authority of the head coach. If he is taking too much of a hands-on approach, I question whether it'll last through the end of the season. And that could prove disastrous.
Long live Thomas Sowell!
smudad
Varsity

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 13, 2001 3:34 pm

You can have the best strength coach in the world, and believe me we did have one in Jost. I think it is a combination of the players and Jost. There were many guys who busted their [deleted] for him, and results were shown. Then there were others who went in, messed around, drank water, talked to the soccer girls and penciled in their workout and left. I know with the coached now overseeing all the workouts, this will no longer happen. It's to bad this could not get done with Jost here. The players should be held just as accountable for busting but in the weightroom as a coach should be for implementing the program.

Postby slappy » Tue Feb 13, 2001 4:58 pm

First off, I want to say that I have had the pleasure of meeting many coaches around the country at some of the top programs college athletics. I have never seen anything happen that is even comparable to what the football staff has done, and I can assure you come next season we will see the results. I think this just shows what asmall time program we are running here. Oh, and yes size does matter. You can have the best strength program in the country, but if your players aren't at least as big as the ones on the other side of the ball it wil not matter. They work out too. The big guy has the advantage in this game. So instead of thinking that they know more than somone who has devoted his career to the field of strength and conditioning, why aren't our coaches out recruiting players who are taller than 5'9". Is it possible to have at least a couple of 300 pounders in a recruiting class. You can't make a thoroughbred out of horses**t. Oh, and as far as our athletes puking on the field and during conditioning week, that has nothing to do with the strength program. It has to do with what the coaches have the athletes do during two-a-days, and that includes overworking them.
slappy

Postby peruna81 » Wed Feb 14, 2001 5:56 pm

Florida State <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Big D:
<B>Where's he going,man? Don't leave us in this much suspense! Hints? Something?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 14, 2001 8:56 pm

Correct.

Postby Big D » Wed Feb 14, 2001 9:58 pm

Wow! When you say the Premier Program in the country, that's who I thought of. Thanks, I too, hatee to see him leave, but I haven't been around him, so ya'll would know better than me. If workouts are going as you say, NoOne could expect players to get the full benefit of the strength training. They have to dedicate themselves to the program, and the game. Push yourself when nobody is standing over you. And I know there are some who don't do this. Best of Luck to Jost!
Big D
Scout Team

Return to Football