PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Getting ready for Spring Ball!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Getting ready for Spring Ball!

Postby Corso » Tue Feb 13, 2001 6:12 pm

I'm all over the Ponies' hoops teams, but I'm also getting ready for the football team. I'm ready to see the improvement that will make all of us forget last season's record and start the Ponies on the path to a brighter gridiron future. Here are some of the questions I'm looking forward having answered:

• Who will take the lead in the quarterback battle? Strengths/weaknesses of Luker and Page?
• Which 2000 redshirts will emerge as serious challengers for jobs in the fall?
• What will the offensive line look like, and who will be the key backups?
• Will there be a visible size difference in the team, after another year in the weight room and now that they're under the new weight program?
• How much has the young secondary improved, now that so many first-year players have a year under their belt?
• How much more comfortable is Freeman as a receiver, or does he still see himself as a running back playing out of position?
• Will Crowley or Walterscheid try to punt, or are the coaches already conceding that job to Davis and McMurtray, the incoming freshmen?
• Kevin Aldridge has a year of experience at defensive end. Last year, he and Markus Pratt were expected to provide a huge pass rush - is he approaching this season any differently, now that he knows what to expect?
Corso
Hall of Famer

Re: Getting ready for Spring Ball!

Postby Boston Pony » Thu Feb 15, 2001 10:50 pm

The big question in my mind is the O Line.. Do the guys who didn't play much or at all last year make the grade during Spring Ball? There was a lot of beef sitting on the sidelines last year. Lets hope they hit the books and the iron in prep for 2001. #1 is the left side of the line. The protection for the QB. Also, if the line is not up to it, what plans will be tried to get some extra time -- is it roll outs, keeping more blockers in, shotgun. What ever it ends up being we need to get the time to pass. Also for the former 'hogs' who frequent this site, is it tough to be successful at both run and pass block?
Boston Pony
Varsity

Postby SMUstang » Thu Feb 15, 2001 11:02 pm

No question in my mind, Luker will be the starting quarterback. Hopefully we will see some of the Luker to Cardwell magic that they produced for Stepenville.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby SMUstang » Thu Feb 15, 2001 11:02 pm

No question in my mind, Luker will be the starting quarterback. Hopefully we will see some of the Luker to Cardwell magic that they produced for Stephenville.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby GrapevineMustang » Tue Feb 20, 2001 10:28 pm

I know he's only a freshman, but I'd love to see Richard Bartel get a chance to compete for the job in August. He has a huge arm and good speed, and he's a smart team leader. I think he can surprise some people.
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 21, 2001 12:33 pm

I hope you are right about this Bartel kid GrapevineMustang and I absolutely understand the loyalty to the hometown kid but wouldn't you rather see him redshirt and develop a year and be even more ready the next season. Don't get me wrong, if the guy is ready and just setting the woods on fire put him in. However, I think one of the teams biggest problems is that we do not redshirt enough. It is a big step up from 4A football to playing teams that go to bowls and year in and year out have to play other teams like Florida State among others. I hope Bartel is the next Joe Montana but I would still like to see him sit out a year and learn some while developing even further. I am good friends with another Grapevine boy on the team and if he turns out to be a football player like this one, then SMU is going to be in good shape.

Postby hairystang » Wed Feb 21, 2001 12:49 pm

Stanglover--All I ever hear from you is about FSU!! What is up with that?
hairystang

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 21, 2001 4:13 pm

Well, I really am not the biggest fan of Florida State but when talking about successful programs it seems to me that they are about the best. I don't know what you think but them but I admire their consistency. I wish it would be something that SMU could be but is not at the present time but hopefully will develop into somewhat of an offshoot in the future. Oh ya, I can't help it if good people are getting taken away by the likes of FSU and I want to make it known.

Postby hairystang » Wed Feb 21, 2001 5:03 pm

I think you are more partial to the Huskys
hairystang

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 21, 2001 7:16 pm

Quite true hairystang. As a matter of fact, I was going to visit huskyland this weekend but money got in my way. Graduating college is way over-rated. I am meeting one at the airport tonight though. Don't know who you are but obviously know me, so I'm sure I will see you around.

Postby hairystang » Wed Feb 21, 2001 8:17 pm

Stanglover--Here is a clue--If you ever wanted to demand customer service who would you want on your side?
hairystang

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 21, 2001 9:35 pm

The fat German!!!

Postby CHIVO » Tue Feb 27, 2001 12:44 am

I am excited about the upcoming spring football. I am going to try my hardest to make it to a few practices. Hope to see all my old comrades soon.

LONG LIVE THE FAT KIDS!!!!!!!
CHIVO

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 06, 2001 9:01 pm

Surprise of spring ball who will play a significant role in the fall: Redshirt LB Derek Swofford.

Postby PonyFan » Wed Mar 07, 2001 3:06 pm

I'm going to be out there as much as I can, and I plan to focus on the offensive line, which I think will be crucial, as always. Who's the starting five? Slaten, McCarthy, Reindl, Chandler and .... Harris? Hargis?

Anyone know?
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Next

Return to Football