PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Where in the world are...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Where in the world are...

Postby Houston Pony » Fri Mar 02, 2001 7:17 pm

Bobby Collins and the AD named Hitch from back in the Death Penalty days? If anybody knows, please respond.
Houston Pony
Junior Varsity

Re: Where in the world are...

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 04, 2001 3:15 am

i had read awhile back (w/i last 2 yrs) that collins went back after the $%$## & has been there ever since working w/the so.miss athletic dept. raising $$$$...hitch, on the other hand, stayed in dallas & went to work for one of the independent oil companies or became a consultant of one kind or another...good riddance...wrong type people for the smu job in the first place!!!!

------------------

Postby Texastang » Sun Mar 04, 2001 10:26 pm

X/L.A. Mustang, do you mean wrong type of people for the job, as compared to who we have now? Looking at how things were then and how they are now, I wouldn't exactly say "Good Riddance". Maybe I just didn't understand what you were trying to get across.
Texastang
Scout Team

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 06, 2001 8:20 pm

FROM WHAT i had heard during the 80's...& for that time period we were in, hitch & collins were 'not right' for those particular jobs...potts had left, i forgot the main reason & hitch came in from either so.miss or miss state - i believe .....& then he needed to hire a coach...he knew bobby collins who was his good friend from growing up together or earlier yrs in both their careers ... & well, the rest is history...

being from the southeast which is great fb country is still very different from the southwest which is also good fb country & is where we are....two different cultures altogether & from what many have said who were close to the program - plus, written in books during that era, the coaches didn't always mesh with the players - u have southern coaches coaching texas or southwestern players, 'chemistry' was definitely lacking (no doubt collins was a very fine man from what many have said & hitch, well i just don't know about).....that is why i was somewhat surprised when cavan was hired, he's a southerner & they are VERY DIFFERENT...i know, i'm from texarkana originally & i've been traveling the deep south for yrs...they are very different there altogether...not to be used as a cut or hit towards the people but they are different and texas & the southwest in general is very, very different from them....that is only what i meant - yes, you're right - i'm not happy now either - but, sorry.

btw...what i thought was strange was that hitch was a complete 180 from potts...usually when someone or a company hires an individual, they usually select someone that will bring consistency not only in job performance & directives to a job but personality as well - especially when the program is experiencing incredible success in local marketing & attendance figures from VERY SUCCESSFUL PROGRAMS that russ put together & then hitch comes along & literally ditches everything, i mean, if it ain't broke, its doesn't need to be fixed...hitch's selection to the a.d. position just didn't make any sense plus he made some very stupid moves re marketing or lack of and etc. as aforementioned....i don't know what the administration was thinking when they hired him but they should have told hitch to 'stay the course' b/c the people began coming back...to this day, it still makes me sick.

------------------

Return to Football