PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Spring Scrimmage #1, 3-31-2001

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Spring Scrimmage #1, 3-31-2001

Postby Webmaster » Sat Mar 31, 2001 11:17 pm

<B>Spring Scrimmage #1, 3-31-2001</B>

Today was the fifth time the Mustangs practiced this spring and marked the first scrimmage--which lasted two hours in Ford Stadium.

The offense looked a lot better, coming off a couple poor days of practice. Kelan Luker threw four touchdown passes--to John Hampton and Billy Ford--and was picked off twice. Chris Cunningham looked stellar. He had several great catches where he held on to the ball. He looked like the Comet of 1999. Both Luker and Page looked pretty good and the offensive line looked very strong today.

The story of the day is the performance of Trent Hrncir. Hrncir made the move to tight end just sort of two weeks ago: he is a redshirt freshman who moved from defensive end where he saw little playing time last fall behind Pratt and Aldridge. Hrncir recorded 4 catches for 63 yards today. One reception was almost for a touchdown and two others were tough receptions. Hrncir adds another target for our offense.

The defense played well today, also. Allan Adami played very aggressive and recorded one sack. Defensive ends Melvin Williams and Johnson Patman looked very sharp and will be playing behind Marcus Pratt and Kevin Aldridge. Williams has gained some weight and strength since his arrival at SMU. Jonas Rutledge and Greg LaMantia each picked off Kelan Luker today.

Vic Viloria is not practicing this spring and Kris Briggs did not scrimmage today.

For more information, visit the following link from SMUMustangs.com: <A HREF="http://www.smumustangs.com/news/00-01/010331fb.asp" TARGET=_blank>http://www.smumustangs.com/news/00-01/010331fb.asp</A>

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 04-02-2001).]
"Rhett Lashlee not only has the top G5 transfer class, it’s one of the best classes in the country, period.”
–– Chris Vannini, The Athletic

Thanks for supporting PonyFans.com. If you have any problems or concerns, please e-mail us at webmaster@ponyfans.com
Webmaster
Heisman

Re: Spring Scrimmage #1, 3-31-2001

Postby SMUPonyFan » Sun Apr 01, 2001 12:20 am

I saw Hrncir today also. His performance should be applauded. This reminds me of last year when #86, John Hampton, had a breakout spring.

Hopefully, the coaches will utilize our double threat at tight end. We could really be powerful if Hrncir keeps his performances up.

This raises a question. What about Mike Brown? I always thought we was a good tight end but he was a little sort. He almost reminds me of Pennington, size wise. He is real thick. I don't think we have a fullback, why not try Brown out at fullback. He has decent speed and is a great blocker. Come on coaches, lets use all of our tools!

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Return to Football