PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Question for BUS

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Question for BUS

Postby GrapevineMustang » Mon Apr 09, 2001 3:18 pm

What were your impressions of the offensive line Saturday?
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Re: Question for BUS

Postby ponytalk » Mon Apr 09, 2001 10:56 pm

As I am sure the name will tell you, I am not BUS, but I would like to put my two cents in.

I think one word sums up the o-line...WEAK.

They hustle and try hard but it is not there. Maybe it will come together in the season but don't think so. This has been the weakness of the offense for several years now and it is the most crucial part. McCarthy is the workhorse. Slaten is good. Sterling is way overrated, TC did not practice, but I think he is awesome. Reindle looks small and will have his hands full. Hargis busts his butt every play but has the Reindle factor, lack of size, and we have such little depth. They will wear down easily, especially against TCU, UNC, and NC State.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby Hilltopper » Tue Apr 10, 2001 11:42 am

Not sure I agree with you. These guys are bigger and stronger with the new weight program they started working under this offseason. I think their heart and durability will surprise you.
Hilltopper
All-American

Postby Bballer » Tue Apr 10, 2001 1:03 pm

Why didn't Luter play very much?

------------------
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2002!
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2002!
Bballer
Junior Varsity

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 10, 2001 6:34 pm

Hilltopper, I pray you are right, but you're not. I think the o-line is going to be frightful this year unfortunately and then again I hope they prove me wrong. I have not seen one thing that gives me very much hope and I think Texastang will agree.

Postby BUS » Tue Apr 10, 2001 6:56 pm

As stated above the weight program the coaches are running is working and the players are getting bigger. Look at D-line listings.

O-line is a question to me. The right side seems OK but not great. Luter did play some but was beaten by a man 100 lb's smaller. Do not think he can lead with his left foot and cut off d-line. (One reason I think that if put on D-line he goes where he wants to go and throws people around) Left side line saw four players run with first team. McArthy, Slaten
Eric Neal and Slaten
Eric Neal and Fross
RS-Freshman Neal was a center but could be good help at left tackle.

With the above said. This early in sprig practice the defense has the advantage and o-line has not become comfortable with the new positions.

# 1 good thing. The coaches are putting some BEEF on these guys.!!!

Go Mustangs
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MTSURIM » Tue Apr 10, 2001 8:01 pm

Hey Ponytalk,

Just a little more info on Townsend Hargis. He does not lack size. He is 6-4 260 on his way back up to 280. He is faster than any of the other O line guys and has better feet than anyone they have had playing for them since the death pentalty was lifted. Watch him a little closer next time. He was recently moved to center and has been kicking [deleted] at that new position even though he is a guard by trade. The coaches love him because of his versality and commitment and TALENT!!!!
MTSURIM

Postby Dement-ed » Wed Apr 11, 2001 12:16 pm

Hope MTSURIM is right. We need linemen with great footwork. How many times did Coach Kueck call that little wide receiver screen pass to Cunningham, only to have Comet get clobbered because the linemen couldn't get outside in time to block? I've heard a lot of good things about Hargis. Could be a real player.
HOORAY, BEER!
Dement-ed
All-American

Postby MTSURIM » Wed Apr 11, 2001 12:23 pm

Just a final Dement-ed. Hargis IS a player. Not "could be"
MTSURIM

Postby ponytalk » Wed Apr 11, 2001 1:19 pm

MTSURIM,

I do not want to argue with you, but a 6-4 260 o-lineman is small for D-1 football. 6-4 280 is a lot better, but in my opinion small. We need 6-4 290 and 6-5 300 pounders. But what Hargis lacks in size, I truly believe he makes up for in effort. I watched him for a little in the red and blue game and he played more than anyone, especially after Reindle had to sit out. He busted his butt every play, like I said before, but I think he will have his hands full with D-lineman that have 20 pounds plus on him, like Lute Croy.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby MTSURIM » Wed Apr 11, 2001 7:49 pm

Ponytalk,

I don't think that 6-5 300 is the best option when dealing with the upcoming defensive lines. The main example of that flaw in thinking is Sterling Harris. He is 6-7 and 300 plus and can't move to save his life. He doesn't have the speed and he is so slow off the ball that the guys blow by him time after time. Townsend doesn't have that problem. He has speed. He has the form and he has the technique. When you have all of those pistons firing a few pounds doesn't make a difference.

One last thing, do you think Georgia Tech, Nebraska, Vandy and Memphis, just to name a few, would have wanted Townsend if they didn't think he was big enough. SMU is lucky to have pulled down that coup.
MTSURIM

Postby PerunaPunch » Fri Apr 13, 2001 1:48 pm

I weigh 240 lbs. and am/was a tight end. So 260 for a lineman would have to be considered light. Here's the deal (in my opinion)... You can site numerous examples of "small" O-linemen who were successful in college and in the pros. Strength and technique can go along way if you have ample quantities of each -- Mark Stepnoski comes immediately to mind by way of example. But that's the exception rather than the rule. Usually, there's maybe one light (albeit talented) guy on a line, BUT he is surrounded by 300+ lb. bruisers. With a relatively light O-line overall (and let's just not talk about big guys who can't/won't play), they can't generate enough initial push and forward movement for running plays. And even if they're able to setup a successful pass block, lighter lines get pushed back a step are two which collapses the pocket and lets tall defenders near the QB, masking his vision, etc.

One "light" guy isn't the problem. It's a lack of overall size and strength.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyPride » Fri Apr 13, 2001 2:23 pm

PerunaPunch - you weigh 240? Is that more than when I joined the fraternity? Somehow you don't scare me as much now as you did then.

Thanks for lunch before the Red/Blue Scrimmage.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PerunaPunch » Fri Apr 13, 2001 4:58 pm

Hey, who let you on the list? Oh yeah, it yours...

I weigh 240 now. That's 15 or so more (net) than when I was at SMU. By net, I mean minus 25 lbs. of lean body mass and plus 40 lbs. of beer, chips and beer/chip byproducts.

However, I'm in the process of making a comeback. Why just last week, I made it twice around the track...
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby ponystudent » Sun Apr 15, 2001 11:24 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PerunaPunch:
[B] By net, I mean minus 25 lbs. of lean body mass and plus 40 lbs. of beer, chips and beer/chip byproducts.B]</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like beer and chips and byproducts as well.

------------------
Go Ponies!
Go Ponies!
ponystudent
Junior Varsity

Next

Return to Football