PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SWC foes

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SWC foes

Postby Peruna1 » Mon Apr 16, 2001 7:59 pm

Is there any way SMU will play any of their old SWC teams(eg., UT, A&M, Baylor)? Personally, if such games were scheduled, i think SMU would be able to recruit more players and I guarantee every fan, SMU or otherwise, would love to see it.
Peruna1

Re: SWC foes

Postby NavyCrimson » Mon Apr 16, 2001 8:04 pm

i'm sure smu would love to but they don't (however, i think something may be happening with baylor?)
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Apr 16, 2001 9:01 pm

I read last year we have been talking to Baylor about home/home series. UT and A$M don't appear to have any use for us and I'd like to see us concentrate on playing schools that will give us home/home arrangements. I was happy to see we've worked out a deal with TCU (our only true rival in my opinion).

Given the travel we already face in the WAC schedule, it wouldn't bother me to see the schedule rounded out with familiar foes like Houston, Texas Tech or UNT.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PK » Mon Apr 16, 2001 10:51 pm

We had something set up with Houston, but asked them to let us out of it to take on TCU. I don't know, but maybe we still have plans to add them back in later. Tech is the school that would be a natural. They have a ton of alums and fans in the Dallas area. Maybe if the new series with Tech in basketball works well we can get some interest from them for football. As it stands now, unless Tech somehow gets in to the Cotton Bowl, their fans here have absolutely no chance of seeing them play in Dallas. We ought to be selling that to the Tech folks.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Tue Apr 17, 2001 12:33 am

Of course you know that Bobby Knight and Mike Dement have already arranged for basketball games to begin again between TTech and us. Did you notice that Knight has also set up games with UTEP? And he has expressed interest in playing the U of H and Rice. He seems to be breaking away from the posture of big xii teams avoiding the other former SWC teams. I guess they have felt that they had nothing to gain and everything to lose in playing teams like us. I suspect there still is a large degree of acrimony over the breakup of the SWC. It seems to be a real positive that Knight brings to the area in that he is willing to play local teams again.
H-E-B Mustang
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Apr 17, 2001 8:26 am

One thing I will say for Bobby Knight...he's not afraid to play anybody and he will give local teams a shot. He usually played Indiana State, which was a high risk/no reward game for the Hoosiers. When was the last time Arkansas played Ark St? There are plenty of examples where the "premier" state school avoids the "other" state schools that play in lesser conferences.
Charleston Pony

Postby NavyCrimson » Tue Apr 17, 2001 12:28 pm

well said...

no matter how u slice....i think bobby knight may or will be the BEST thing for 'texas' basketball in a long time!!!!

(& that's not longhorn b-ball i'm talking about!)

------------------
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Return to Football