PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jeff Woods on mm.com

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Jeff Woods on mm.com

Postby smu'06 » Sat May 12, 2001 10:34 am

I have one question - Why did Copeland leave UVa?

Secondly, I have one comment. As to the program getting better, for the past three summers I have worked under former SMU AD Russ Potts in his Sports Marketing/ Productions office, and have learned quite a bit. I will be applying early to SMU in the fall, and when I come down to the Hilltop, I will try to get a job in the AD's office, where I, with Russ's hopeful input, will try to recreate Mustang Mania.

This is how it needs to be done. SMU is a great school, with great football history, in a great football city. SMU needs to over market itself. Start playing national, though better opponents, and get the national coverage. I believe there is a story/legend dating back to a 60's Michigan game, as to how Ford got the name Mustang. Was SMU in Michigan's league back then? No. There is no reason, with the amount of talent in the great state of Texas, that SMU can't start fielding a top 30 recruiting class every year. All you need to do, is pair up the recruits with one of the fine SMU women, ans the program will be set. The same goes for basketball.

All it takes is a few solid, not great years, and one great recruit. Look at VA Tech. They were nothing special before Vick, now post-Vick, they recruited about 15 off the top 100 recruit list. SMU needs to start competing with the Aggies and the 'Horns, and scuffle over the top recruits. D-FW area players need to stay and play on the Hilltop, not in College Station, Lubbock, or Austin.

There is no reason SMU should not be in a Bowl Game by 2005. A big name coach would most likely help. The Univ. of South Carolina example. The program was worse than SMU's with a similar history, then comes Lou Holtz, and the '[deleted] are in a New Year's Day Bowl. Dallas is a much better city with a much better climate than Columbia, SC. So the next time a living legend comes along, SMU has to grab him. There are a ton of old Cowboy coaches, maybe one of them could help out the Stangs.

MUSTANG MANIA IS ABOUT TO RETURN! GET READY!
University of South Carolina Student and Fan
SMU Fan and possible Law Student
smu'06
Junior Varsity

Postby smu'06 » Sat May 12, 2001 10:39 am

PART II:

The better the program, the better the schedule, the better the marketing, the better the amount of $$$$ to spend on coaches, facilities, and the program's future. UNC and NC State are good starts for the schedule. Maybe a Michigan, Penn St., UT, A&M, Fla. St, in the future. If a Mustang Miracle happens, the days of the Pony Express would closely follow a big win.
smu'06
Junior Varsity

Postby NavyCrimson » Sat May 12, 2001 2:14 pm

you're a young man after my own heart!!!!

we need that enthusiasm!!!!!!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby ponytalk » Sat May 12, 2001 5:14 pm

06er,

There are two things you might want to know before you attempt to follow through with these plans.

First, SMU does not have any money to market themselves, so I have just shot down your statement about over marketing.

Second, Copeland is not the person you want to work for if you are trying to recreate history. He has shot down many great marketing attempts because he felt they related too much to the past.

But I have to admire your enthusiasm and we need more of it, at the student level especially. What you really should do is get an internship in the marketing office and help them with the truly IMPOSSIBLE task of getting student support at games.

With a great atmosphere, we will land recruits. We have too much trouble trying to compete with the big cheating schools in Texas and this region to land the Michael Vick that will jump start SMU. The comment on the Lou Holtz coaching thing is 100 on target, but here comes that financial dilemma we are faced with. We have no money.

Money and support is what kills us and is what will continue to kill us.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby smu'06 » Sat May 12, 2001 5:54 pm

Why is there such a financial dilema?

Doesn't SMU have a nice and wealthy set of parents and alumni?
smu'06
Junior Varsity

Postby Grider » Mon May 14, 2001 10:41 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by smu'06:
<B>Why is there such a financial dilema?

Doesn't SMU have a nice and wealthy set of parents and alumni?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are two answers to that question
1). Our Alumni just doled out millions of dollars for our new football facilities, not to mention all of the other new construction that's been going on at SMU for the past 4 or 5 years. With the disappointing season last year, the big hitters probably aren't ready to go throwing a few more million our way.
2).SMU does have a fairly wealthy fan base, but there are relatively few who actually contribute. When I say relative I'm talking about UT/A&M etc. Remember you've only got about 5,000 or so undergrads at SMU(that's what it was when I was there) UT and A&M have something like 50,000 each. The bottom line is that our few folks with a lot of funds don't surpass their lots of folks with a few dollars, and they've still got their nice little pool of heavy hitters.

We're in a "catch 22" We can't draw the funds if we can't win, and we can't win if we don't draw the funds. I will say, however, that Ford stadium is a HUGE step in the right direction. The proverbial ball is in the Athletic Department's court. If they expect the big boys to give them any money anytime soon, they're going to have to start showing a few positive results for building that little dream of a stadium named Ford.
... _ _ .._
Grider
All-American

Postby SMUPonyFan » Mon May 14, 2001 1:01 pm

Some other reasons for lack of finance are Pye and PeopleSoft.

When Pye was President he squeezed the juice out of athletics budgets and I understand that they still have not fully recovered.

Then the geniuses that run the school felt that it would be worth the money to install a program called PeopleSoft to ease registration and grade protocols. I don't know the details but it crashed and SMU did not have it insured and they had to pay for it to be reinstalled. I think SMU was millions (double digit millions) over budget. This has sent all departments, including athletics, to recall budgets and stop spending. SMU was, and may still be, in a hiring freeze.

So basically, my two reasons are faults of the administration, who in my opinion, are not committed to the success of athletics and winning.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby Guest » Thu May 24, 2001 11:22 am

Tex-
sounds like you do not favor the coaches that much. It almost sounds as if you are out to get them. Since, you are "close" to the seen. how do you feel about what has been going on in the weight room this spring.

Postby Guest » Thu May 24, 2001 1:04 pm

Medicine Man, I now know who you are.

Postby Guest » Thu May 24, 2001 1:23 pm

congrats, keep it to yourself

------------------
Stanglover rules all

Postby Ball Boy » Thu May 24, 2001 1:27 pm

Stanglover
How do you know who Medicine Man is?