PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New Strength Coach

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

New Strength Coach

Postby South Texas Pony » Mon May 21, 2001 11:29 pm

Just heard this afternoon that SMU now has its new strength coach, but I don't know any details about him. Do some of you? Coach CAvan told us before the Red-Blue scrimmage that the new coach would be in place for summer workouts, as they (the coaches) can't have direct dealings with the players during the summer.
South Texas Pony

Re: New Strength Coach

Postby Guest » Fri May 25, 2001 3:42 pm

ok this is what I heard from some guys at Texas, Maddog hired this guy who was a football coach, he was not a strength coach at all, this guy helped with football at Texas and did the Golf team....way to go Copeland,,,,really nice, get ready for the bottom of the cesspool ponyfans

Postby tex » Fri May 25, 2001 4:05 pm

Well, if you want the scoop on the new strength coach then you should go straight to a primary source...ME. The new strength coach is from Texas. His philosopy seems to get the players bigger and faster. Easier said then done since it is extremly hard to get an athlete to gain muscle mass and speed in the same trianing seasons. But he seems like a dedicated coach and wants to win...only time will tell
tex
Recruit

Postby redbluerider » Fri May 25, 2001 4:08 pm

I have met this guy and he is a good guy, I do not know how much he knows about Strength and conditioning, but why don't you give the guy a chance before you start bashing him.
redbluerider

Postby tex » Fri May 25, 2001 4:24 pm

I don't know what your talking about...I was not bashing him! I simply made a factual statement. I have meet the guy too and he does seem like a good guy, and seems dedicated to do great things here...It seems to me like you should read an entire post before you make a reply!
tex
Recruit

Postby PK » Fri May 25, 2001 4:36 pm

Chill out tex...judging from the time of his post and yours, he most certainly was responding to echohawk's post. He was probably still typing when you submitted your post. I agree that we need to give the guy a chance before we blast away...maybe some "Maddog" rubbed off on him.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony Up » Sat May 26, 2001 1:11 am

If this guy has even a shread of Mad Dog in him, he'll do a great job. Mad Dog is a mad man, and the players at UT take his word as gospel.
Proud to be a PonyFan
Pony Up
All-American

Postby tex » Sat May 26, 2001 2:10 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pony Up:
<B>If this guy has even a shread of Mad Dog in him, he'll do a great job. Mad Dog is a mad man, and the players at UT take his word as gospel.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

the players do take his word as a gospel...but he is a false prophet!!! and way over payed!!!
tex
Recruit

Postby Big Cat » Mon May 28, 2001 12:14 pm

He gets results.
Big Cat
Scout Team

Postby tex » Mon May 28, 2001 3:14 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Big Cat:
<B>He gets results.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When is the last time texas won a confrence championship...no seriously just asking.
tex
Recruit

Postby Big Cat » Mon May 28, 2001 11:34 pm

1996, it was the first Big 12 championship game against Nebraska. I believe Nebraska was the #3 ranked team in the nation at the time, undefeated. Texas had 1 loss at the time.

They have were Big 12 south winners in 1999 as well.
Big Cat
Scout Team

Postby Ball Boy » Tue May 29, 2001 12:03 pm

Big Cat-
was mad dog at Texas in 1996? I know he was in '99, but I don't think he was in 1996.
All HAIL TEXASTANG
Ball Boy
Recruit

Postby PonyPower » Tue May 29, 2001 12:09 pm

Big Cat -

UT gets results. Credit Mad Dog if you want. Credit Mack Brown. Credit his assistant coaches. But more than anything, credit the players at the recruiting efforts that got those players to Austin. SMU would win a lot of games every year, too, if we had a recruiting class full of All-America players every year. I don't know how much of the credit should go to Mad Dog. I think I could coach that roster to 7 or 8 wins every year.
PonyPower
All-American

Postby Big Cat » Tue May 29, 2001 12:16 pm

PonyPower,

I could not agree with you more. My comment on when Texas won the conference championships was in direct response to the question asked by Tex. As far as what Mad Dog should get credit for, is making this team one of the strongest ever as well as fastest ever. That also has to do with the talent level being brought in as well as the work ethic being demonstrated by the players. I just give Madden the credit for showing those players how to be the fastest, strongest, most powerful players they can be.
Big Cat
Scout Team

Return to Football