PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Swami vs. Stanglover

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Swami vs. Stanglover

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 05, 2001 6:47 pm

OK Stanglover, here we go with the first topic of debate.

Since we are on a SMU site, I figure we should talk about SMU Football, so here we go.

I found out we have hired a new strenght coach from the University of Texas. I hear he goes by the name of Diesel. Apparently he is massive (A Leightgib type (sp?)).

Now he did come from a pretty good school and is a lifter himself. Will he make a difference? I know the results from his efforts will probably not be seen in the coming season. Thoughts?

PS : I picked an easy topic for you to begin with.

Re: Swami vs. Stanglover

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 05, 2001 11:57 pm

Well Swami, I hope he does prove to have great results but lets be honest with ourselves. If Cavan ends up being fired don't you think the new coach will bring in his own strength man? I think he will so "Diesel" will not have enough time to implement a program in which we will see results. But if he does stay, lets analyze his resume. One year as being a strength coach. Hmmm. He has one years experience being part of the development of a program. What he does have on his side is that he played pro ball for a few years but we all know that does not always make for a good coach. Then again, maybe he will end up being the best thing at SMU in years---hope and pray. That is my answer Swami.

Postby ponytalk » Wed Jun 06, 2001 2:41 am

<B>"A Leightgib type</B>

Pardon me, maybe my reading to vocal coordination is not working right now...BUT WHAT THE HELL IS A LEIGHTGIB type?

Thanks in advance.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 06, 2001 10:02 am

He was the strength coach before Jost. The man was a lunatic that thought we were in the army and not college football.

Postby Texastang » Wed Jun 06, 2001 10:43 am

Leightgib was our former head strength coach before Jost. He had a solid system, but at times practiced a Medieval style of weight training. Some of his training techniques were simply not practiced in the modern western world, but at the same time he showed results. The team at that time was strong and about six times bigger than it is now. So I guess he was doing something right. Hopefully this new coach can make a big difference in a short period of time.
Texastang
Scout Team

Postby Texastang » Wed Jun 06, 2001 10:45 am

Sorry Stanglover, I guess you posted while I had the post reply page up. Give me a call today. Oh, by the way the Men are being assembled.
Texastang
Scout Team

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 06, 2001 11:06 am

Hmmmmm...Stanglover, you bring up an interesting topic. What are the chances that this is Coach Cavan's last year. If we have another season like last, I can't see him coming back. I hope this does not happen, but he has been here five years now, and that to me is enough time to turn a program around. With us having a pretty tough schedule this year and the way we typically start the season, it will be a VERY difficult task.

Texastang- Where were you yesterday? Can't call your boy back?

Postby Ball Boy » Wed Jun 06, 2001 11:14 am

Stanglover and Swami-
You guys bring up good points, but from talking to the team I think that they are a little broken down from the spring. Many are still fatigued from the boot camp they went through during off-season. How do you think this will contribute to the success of the Diesel.
All HAIL TEXASTANG
Ball Boy
Recruit

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 06, 2001 4:31 pm

I do not think it is going to be helpful. I know many players were down at the end of off-season and especially spring football. I am not sure what kind of program the "Diesel" is going in implement but I have heard it is similar to Jost's---I could be wrong, I am not sure. If it is pretty much the same philosophy then way to go SMU. Got rid of someone who they say is no good and getting someone who is going to do the same. Hopefully I am going to be proven embarrasingly wrong and I have to eat all my words and believe me, I will put the bib on and have the fork and knife ready if SMU does well. Unfortunately, I don't forsee this and I think we will be enduring another sad season.

Return to Football