PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Solution to the Beer at Ford problem...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Solution to the Beer at Ford problem...

Postby TCUSA » Sat Jun 09, 2001 8:29 am

I was reading below about the desire by some to serve beer at Ford and how NCAA regulations prohibit beer from being sold at "College Only" venues.

I also saw the announcement for the Dallas Vipers (who have at least one Frog I know of on the roster-Hayes Rydell).

The solution is simple...

If the administration does want to be able to serve alcohol at the stadium, invite the Vipers to play at least one home game a year in Ford. Charge them a big fee, discount it and take the write-off.

They get one game a season to show off and SMU gets the ability to serve alcohol. Attendance jumps about 30% a year and then you have to add that additional capacity.
\"Fight 'em 'til Hell freezes over then fight 'em on the ice!\"- TCU Legend Dutch Meyer
TCUSA

Re: Solution to the Beer at Ford problem...

Postby smu'06 » Sat Jun 09, 2001 12:09 pm

There are two problems with your logic.

First with our good buddies at the NCAA, they would frown on this and find some way to give us a second DP. Plus if i remember correctly the stipulation states that alcohol only at stadiums that are "pro" stadiums, where a pro team plays all their home games.

Second the administration wouldn't go for it. Remember SMU is a "DRY" campus.
University of South Carolina Student and Fan
SMU Fan and possible Law Student
smu'06
Junior Varsity

Postby TCUSA » Sat Jun 09, 2001 11:54 pm

Thanks for the post. I remembered that Colorado State served liquor and didn't have any professional teams play in their stadium, and all the SEC stadiums sell beer with no sign of professional teams...so...

I decided I'd better go research the thing myself since I wasn't sure exactly how the NCAA treats alcohol sales-and guess what? It's up to the individual institution unless it's an NCAA-sponsored Championship event.

So all you have to do is convince the administration to allow beer sales. I don't know how your alumni constituency would feel about it, but I think it would attract a lot of casual, non-SMU affiliated fans who might come out just to enjoy a beer and an afternoon of college football. It would have some attendant problems, but I think the positives would outweigh the negatives.

------------------
"Fight 'em 'til Hell freezes over then fight 'em on the ice!"- TCU Legend Dutch Meyer
\"Fight 'em 'til Hell freezes over then fight 'em on the ice!\"- TCU Legend Dutch Meyer
TCUSA

Postby ponystudent » Sun Jun 10, 2001 7:01 pm

SELL BEER!!!

------------------
Go Ponies!
Go Ponies!
ponystudent
Junior Varsity

Postby Dwayne From Minden » Tue Jun 12, 2001 4:29 pm

BEER will be available at the LA TECH/SMU game in Shreveport on Sept 1 - all of ya'll please come and enjoy.

BTW - I have never seen beer sold in a stadium on an SEC or Big XII campus.

------------------
Go Tech and Go Dawgs!
Go Tech and Go Dawgs!
Dwayne From Minden

Postby TCUSA » Tue Jun 12, 2001 5:19 pm

I've never seen beer sold at a Big 12 campus either. But as SMU isn't a member of the Big12, I don't see your point.
TCUSA

Postby DallasViper » Tue Jun 12, 2001 9:44 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TCUSA:
<B>I was reading below about the desire by some to serve beer at Ford and how NCAA regulations prohibit beer from being sold at "College Only" venues.

I also saw the announcement for the Dallas Vipers (who have at least one Frog I know of on the roster-Hayes Rydell).

The solution is simple...

If the administration does want to be able to serve alcohol at the stadium, invite the Vipers to play at least one home game a year in Ford. Charge them a big fee, discount it and take the write-off.

They get one game a season to show off and SMU gets the ability to serve alcohol. Attendance jumps about 30% a year and then you have to add that additional capacity.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Make that two frogs Doug Shanks and Hayes Rydell Dallas Viper and the Texas Heat square off at Pennington field this saturday at 8:00 pm tickets are only $8 for the best seat in the house.
DallasViper

Postby Dwayne From Minden » Thu Jun 14, 2001 5:29 pm

But as SMU isn't a member of the Big12, I don't see your point.[/B][/QUOTE]

A poster stated earlier that beer was sold at all SEC stadiums - I've been in 8 of the 12 and have not been able to by a beer yet.

I just included the Big XII because I have been in 6 of them and haven't seen beer there either.
Go Tech and Go Dawgs!
Dwayne From Minden

Return to Football