PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Lack of Respect

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Lack of Respect

Postby Bballer » Tue Jan 23, 2001 2:51 pm

I have heard people say the Sasser does not respect or listen to Dement. I have always seen him blow off Dement in games etc, but last night you saw him scream at Dement and shake his head at Dement. The announcers even said something about it. If I were Dement, I would put his butt on the bench until he learned to pass the ball and respect his mentors. Dement is a good coach. He has the game plan, but when Sasser takes the game over we go to crap. Coach Dement needs to fix that problem.

------------------
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2000!
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2002!
Bballer
Junior Varsity

Re: Lack of Respect

Postby The Q » Tue Jan 23, 2001 4:47 pm

True. This is at least two games I've seen it. Jeryl's got a lot of talent, but he doesn't know as much as Coach Dement.
The Q
Varsity

Postby SMUPonyFan » Fri Jan 26, 2001 3:03 pm

I saw it last night a lot. He shook his head at Dement...several times. I mentioned this in another post. We need discipline and respect to be a great team. We are not there.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby MustangNancy » Thu Feb 01, 2001 12:24 am

This blantant lack of respect for the coach will not help Sasser if he wants to get in the NBA and play. Sure he will get drafted, but his chances of seeing playing time will decrease if he continues to disrespect and ignore the coaches instructions.

Sasser, don't you realize that this diminishes your talent in the eyes of your fans.

Real stars show respect for their coach and teammates. Basketball is a team sport, the coach has a gameplan and players should respect that. The big stars in the sport are team players!

------------------
Go Mustangs!!
Go Mustangs!!
MustangNancy

Postby D » Thu Feb 01, 2001 1:33 pm

Don't think I agree with your statements about Sasser not passing the ball and not being a team player. He has a 2.0 assist to turnover ratio which is almost double Damon's total and he consistently leads the team in assists. I admit that Sasser takes a few crazy shots every now and then, but to say he needs to learn how to pass in my opinion is completely wrong. He can create and dish better than anyone on the team. He changes the defense that teams throw at us when he is in and our team has some real problems creating and scoring when he is not in (like when he was injured early in the season).
As for Sasser and Dement butting heads, I think Dement realizes they are both stubborn people and just deals with it and allows Sasser to express himself. Sasser plays with a lot of emotion and no player ever wants to be taken out of the game. Its hard to comment on what really takes place on the bench when he is shaking his head at the coach when you can't even hear what they are talking about. Could simply be frustration with something that is happening on the court.
D
Varsity

Postby Bballer » Thu Feb 01, 2001 2:00 pm

D, you have some valid points. Sasser's stats look great, but you have to look past stats. I notice in games, especially big ones, that whenever Hancock or Voc or whoever to point guard is calls a play, everything runs fine until Sasser gets the ball. He does not run plays. He penetrates or shoots and that throws everyone off because that is not the game plan. I think that is why we suffer in offensive rebounding so much. I will give Sasser credit, when he does pass he is spectacular, and when he does hit his shots he is spectacular, but those situations come in streaks. We cannot afford to just let him do his thing and hope he gets on a streak. My point is proven by the UTEP game.

Now to your comment about the team being better when he is on the floor. I disagree. He is rarely not on the floor but when he is Ross and Hancock play so much better. They run an offense and play like a team. That is what we are, a team. Sasser is great one on one, and that is what the NBA is about, but here we need 5 guys playing together.

------------------
Bballer
Junior Varsity

Postby D » Thu Feb 01, 2001 3:08 pm

Can you explain to me what our game plan actually is? I have been a fan of SMU basketball for several years now, and I often find it difficult when watching a game to figure out what we are doing on offense whether Sasser is in the game or not. Against a man to man defense it seems to me that we have very few "plays" and that most of the time our players look to either take their man off the dribble or penetrate and dish (which is exactly what Sasser does best).
When teams fall into a zone against us, our offense grinds to a halt. I know that there are limited offensive sets to combat a zone, but it seems like all the team does is stand around the three point line and pass the ball back and forth. There is no real movement in our offense against a zone, and I love it when someone tries to attack the zone and is aggressive offensively. That is much better than watching everyone stand around and trying to throw that backdoor lob pass (which might work 3 or 4 times all year) or just hoisting up a three.
I am not saying that Sasser does not take some ill advised shots, and I do like it better when Damon is handling the ball, but I think we are a better team with Sasser on the floor. As far as Q and Damon playing better when he is not on the floor, I disagree. The other night he was on the floor for the majority of the game, and Q tied his career high for points (with many of the assists coming from Sasser). Also, if Sasser is such a ball-hog and not a team player, why are his scoring numbers down while Damon and Q's numbers are up? I think he has been a lot more composed (for the most part) this year than last and has played more under control. The fact is, the other teams are more worried about Sasser and do things to keep the ball out of his hands and to keep him from scoring. This has allowed Q and Damon a lot more open looks at the basket.
I am not saying that Sasser is flawless, but I don't understand it when people say he is not a team player. Yes, he is a good one on one player, and his game is more suited to the NBA, but I don't agree that the whole offense stops when he touches the ball. He is not the only one who penetrates or shoots. I often see Voc put his head down and bull his way to the basket (with mixed results), and DeWayne shoots the ball every time he touches it. If all of the other players are such team players why are none of them averaging more than 3 assists? Those stats tell me that there is a lot more penetrating and shooting going on than setting others up for shots. To single out Sasser and say that he is not a team player seems to be slightly unfair.
As far as the UTEP game goes, when a player is on like Sasser was, the other players tend to feed him for shots. A very similar thing happened at TCU when Q had 18 points at the half. We ended up losing both of these games, but not because one player was taking more shots than the others. This is a team game, and if the whole team doesn't perform you lose.
Sasser has helped to bring a lot of excitement and publicity to the SMU basketball program, and I really appreciate all of his effort over the last four years. We need to place the blame where it belongs, and that is not on one player, but on the entire team. The whole team has been in a funk for the last couple of weeks. I don't know what the cause of it is, but if we don't snap out of it soon we may miss out on the tourney.
I sincerely hope the guys get it together and finish the season strong. I hope to be in the stands cheering for them when in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

Go Ponies !!
D
Varsity

Postby ole jim » Thu Feb 01, 2001 3:37 pm

Basketball success:

IT'S CHEMISTRY!!!!
ole jim
Recruit

Postby Bballer » Fri Feb 02, 2001 3:37 pm

D,
Nice post. We can debate about this forever and still leave with our original opinions. Don't get me wrong, I also respect what Sasser has done for SMU. IMO, but Sasser has never lead this team to a WAC tourney win or the NCAA. I don't think either of these are going to happen this year, anymore. At least not until Jeryl starts playing WITH his team. In his last eight games, he took 157 shots, 34 of those three pointers. His FG average is 43% and his three point average is 32%.

To answer your question about what our game plan is, I do not know the names of the plays or what the team is supposed to be doing, but I do know that Hancock and Voc put their hand up and shout something out and I see people reset and set screens and flash and cut etc. Even Sasser does, but once that ball gets in his hands, it is sailing toward the rim. Now he is the so called leader of the team so he should be taking a lot of shots, but his shot taking decisions are not good. Whenever he jacks up those three pointers 4 feet behind the line, I know that is not what Dement had in mind and that is not what Hancock called. He needs to wait until a better shot comes along.

Another thing he does is when we are beating a weaker team pretty good, the only thing Sasser wants to do is run and gun. He needs to slow the ball up and take time off the clock. Teams like Morris Brown and Tulane etc cannot play good basketball, they capitalize off of sloppy fast play. That is why we allow weaker teams to compete with us. I have seen Sas drive the lane and throw something up numerous times this year when we should be taking time off the clock and running plays. This is when it seems Dement and him always get into it. Sasser wants to showboat and do the fancy layups all day instead of winning games.

That is my opinion. I am no coach, just the way I see it. Next year, I think we will be a better TEAM. I think Hancock and Q will be able to take Sasser's place, it is Willie's role that we will have problems filling. I seriously think that we have a better shot next year of making the NCAA. If we don't I think it will be more due to the loss of Willie than Sasser. But I want to respect Sasser for giving us the press and helping us in recruiting. We would not be where we are right now. But we COULD be better, IF he takes more of a team leader and player role, CHEMISTRY WINS in the words of ole jim.

------------------
Bballer
Junior Varsity

Postby DallasDiehard » Sat Feb 03, 2001 7:54 pm

I think it was MustangNancy who said "of course he (Sasser) will get drafted, but...."

I'm not so sure anymore. There are rumors flying that he may have played himself all the way out of the NBA draft this year with his hot-dogging, high-stepping, that sideways-spinning jumper of his and his disregard for Dement's wishes.

He'll certainly get consideration, and maybe he's scored enough that someone will even take him at the end of the first round. But I don't think he's a sure thing anymore.

Of course, he's still a million times better than his brother Jason, the master of the 10-day contract!
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby Bballer » Sun Feb 04, 2001 3:35 am

Don't get me wrong, once again I will say Sasser is a great player and helps the team, but he missed two more clutch free throws at the end. I though it was going to be a repeat of last year's overtime where he missed several free throws.

He missed two late tonight, two late in the TCU game, two against Nebraska or OU (I forget) and did he miss two against Tennessee, late in the game.

Big time plays call for big time players, you answer the question, is Sasser a big time player?

Free throws, especially in crucial times like tonight, have got to be made.

------------------
Bballer
Junior Varsity

Postby ponytalk » Sun Feb 04, 2001 1:09 pm

Sasser was not his normal self last night. He had 10 points, 6 of those from the charity stripe. Other than those 6 free throws he made only two shots. He attempted 14. (11 FG's and 3 3's)

But what the common eye did not see was his 9 rebounds, 5 assists, and 4 steals. His shot is hurting, and cannot be helping his draft status. But he played a good game last night other than shooting. He had an effect on the game. You are right about him missing clutch free throws, Bballer. That needs to happen, but he hustled last night and did not try and keep shooting. Are we seeing a different Sasser? Or is this just the same Sasser that I have never noticed?
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby Pony_Fan » Sun Feb 04, 2001 7:43 pm

I was happy with the way Sasser had some assists and good boards. He at least didn't jack up crazy 3 pointers when we jumped ahead. He also wasn't a ball hog like usual. It was hilarious how Dement was freaking out and they called a time out at the right time. If Sasser's shot is on again it could be dangerous for other teams but unfortuantely he's been pretty cold.
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby LadyBaller2001 » Mon Feb 05, 2001 8:39 pm

Lack of respect? HA! Sasser respect the coaches and the team. He is a player that wants to win. He may have his days that shows you he has a lack of respect but he's the star player. He has all around game. And with out him I don't think SMU would be where there at now. I never even wanted to watch a SMU game until Sasser started playing. Now I'm a big fan. Every basketball player isn't perfect. Michael Jordan wasn't even perfect. He never won every game and he wasn't MVP every game. But just because you see Sasser shake his head could mean anything. He could have been asked if he was ready to come out the game to rest or anything. I don't see how someone can be a Pony fan and down talk a player. It's just a game. All the players do there best to me. I just think Sasser wants to win awhole lot more, so it looks like he gives of that lack of respect personality. Some of these post on here don't even look like PonyFan post.. most look like we have alot of Pony Haters most of all Sasser Haters on here.

*Lack of Support in this post*

But I'll always be a #1 fan.

[This message has been edited by LadyBaller2001 (edited 02-05-2001).]
LadyBaller2001

Postby Pony_Fan » Mon Feb 05, 2001 10:10 pm

LadyBaller,

I strongly agree Sasser has brought a lot to the program. I think people sometimes use this as a board for their frustrations...at least that is what i do... I think everyone here wants more than anything for SMU to win..as well as Sasser. He commits 100% effort every time he hits the floor. Dement emailed me back one day and said "I missed my opportunity to get him under control his 2nd game into his freshman year." He also went on to say what a great career he has had and that he is 2nd all time in scoring now and will most likely leave SMU the leader. He is 2nd in assists and will probably break more records by the end of the year.... He also said that "the one he (Sasser) wants the most is to get us a WACchampionship though ...he tries to do that each game."

I am a big fan...just get frustrated at times...maybe I have listened to the ticket to much and hear all the negatives about the Cowboys and local sports teams. Image
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Next

Return to Basketball