PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Media Coverage

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Media Coverage

Postby SMUPonyFan » Sun Feb 04, 2001 2:11 pm

I go to the DMN, finally something on SMU Basketball makes the cover of the Sports Page. But nothing leading up to this game. Seems like DMN covers everything and everyone besides SMU, who is the college team in the city they carry.

The Daily Campus. A newspaper for SMU. Nothing leading up to the game. I am sure we will get three articles after this game though. That makes me wonder, why do they write to or three post game articles on one game? Isn't one enough? Use your time to promote the upcoming game.

I thought at the beginning of the season, things would be different. Seemed like we were at least getting local pub. But how soon everything goes back to normal. There are a zillion articles that could be written on SMU right now. But all we see is game stories. And they call themselves journalists. Hahah.

I think this is a major factor in why we hurt in attendance. No one knows how good we are or how fun it is to attend a game. You cannot blame marketing. Marketing takes money. SMU has no money right now. I think they are doing a respectable job, they just have no money to spend. The Daily Campus could help out by writing some articles pumping up coming games, but they are not smart enough to do that. Trey Ditto, keep writing your once a month "From the Blechers" section that is oh so good. It has nothing to do with sports and this guy is the sports editor. I think that is what is wrong with the DC.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Re: Media Coverage

Postby Corso » Sun Feb 04, 2001 5:48 pm

Not so fast my friend!

As journalists, their job is not necessarily to promote the upcoming games. Of course, if there's a big game coming up and there's a story line worth writing about, they should. But as far as promoting the games, that's not their job. However, having said that, the DMN does SPONSOR SMU athletics in some capacity - they have a billboard by the scoreboard in Ford Stadium and signs in Moody. They always get some shameless plug from the PA announcer, in which he says something about "The Dallas Morning News - in touch with SMU athletics" or something ..... which we all know couldn't be further from the truth. The higher-ups at the DMN obviously think SMU is in another part of the state, and that UT and A&M are located near Reunion Tower. That goes for the rest of the paper, too. Have you ever noticed that they'll have 10 writers in Austin to report on Rick Perry taking over as Governor after George Dubbya left for the White House, yet they get beaten by MONTHS by the community papers in Plano, Carrollton, Irving, etc., on stories in their own area? For the life of me, I can't figure out why they sponsor SMU events, and then barely cover them. You'd think if they have money involved, they'd find a story line in every game, just like they overblow the Cotton Bowl even though nobody local plays in it any more.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby Dirty Bird » Mon Feb 05, 2001 3:05 pm

Why didn't you guys send that Doherty writer to the game?
Dirty Bird
Junior Varsity

Postby SMUPonyFan » Mon Feb 05, 2001 9:38 pm

Corso,
You are correct, journalists are not supposed to run promos, but there were several story options and still are.

Here WAS one going into the Tulsa game..."With SMU undefeated at home and 0-6 in big games, Tulsa comes to town, can they defend Moody?"

They do not have to promote SMU, just work harder at finding stories and actually publishing them. It will help them, after all they are the local media. I am not blaming Rana Cash for this either, I think she is great, it is the people above her that choose what gets written.

There are plenty of story lines going on right now with SMU basketball. They should bring media attention to the area they cover. And there is no excuse for the Daily Campus's lack of decent writing and sports content. That is just plain ridiculous.

------------------
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Return to Basketball