PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU B-Ball Futre

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU B-Ball Futre

Postby Mcambymvp » Mon Feb 12, 2001 1:59 am

Ok we all know that the soccer, tennis, and swimming all have bright futures and maybe even the football team will improve greatly, but what does everyone think of our basketball team in years to come? I know Ross will be HUGE and hopefully Kris Lowe will develop to be a threat. I am really interested to see everyones response to what our basketball team will be like...
Mcambymvp

Re: SMU B-Ball Futre

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Feb 12, 2001 9:30 am

Our basketball coaches (don't want to give all the credit to Dement because coach Tubbs and others are a big part of our success) have established SMU as a competitive program that will be very tough to beat at Moody and should be in the hunt for post=season consideration year-in, year-out.

Next year's TEAM just might be better than this year's version, depending on what kind of production we get from the incoming frosh. Q Ross will fill in adequately for Sasser and we will have plenty of big men to fill the 4-5 spots.

We are ready to upgrade the schedule, taking on more BCS schools rather than playing the Arkansas PBs of the world. The key is whether we can get teams to schedule home/home with us. Hopefully we can continue our series with Houston, Tulane and TCU of C-USA. I'd like to get deals with LSU, Ole Miss or Miss St or Okla, Kansas St, etc...schools we haven't seen at Moody. We played Vanderbilt and Ga Tech years ago. I'd like to see those relationships renewed.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Bballer » Mon Feb 12, 2001 1:17 pm

I think basketball has a much brighter future than football. Football takes many years to change, in basketball, three or four guys can turn a team around. Just look at what Sasser and Davis have done. I give them two and Coach Tubbs an infinite amount of credit for bringing the program to where it is now.

Q and Hancock will fill Sasser's spot nicely. And Voc will fill Hancock's shoes the year after that. Right now I don't think Voc will be as good as Hancock, Hancock is so athletic. Voc does not seem to be as much of an athlete as he does a leader and a shooter. I think Davis' spot will be tough to fill. I think Kelley needs to try and fill that spot and we need to have Niemi, Floyd, and Forinash to play the 5 spot.

Next year I see a true TEAM. A lot of chemistry and smarter basketball. I think the future is bright. I do not see Simpson and Castro coming in a making a major impact next year, but they might, I just don't know enough about them. We are a young team and look how good we are.

The future is bright for SMU basketball. A tourney appearance this year would be the best thing that could happen, it would give the young guys confidence and we would go further each year, and soon, we will be winning the big games like Tennessee and OU etc. We need to work on our performance in tournaments. We lost in both tournaments so far this year and we always do poorly in the WAC tourney. I think this is something Dement needs to work on. He needs to play the whole team and keep their legs fresh for the championship--big--games.

Those are my thoughts.
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2002!
Bballer
Junior Varsity

Postby Mullet Mike » Mon Feb 12, 2001 2:12 pm

when Mullett Mike speaks of the future, he does so w/great zeal. For you see, the staff has aligned a premier grouping of talent that makes hoops the only bright future of the revenues. The breakdown and why follows.

What we lose: Sas and Willie
What we gain: Castro, Simpson, Isham, Miller

Ok, I've seen all the recruits and will let you know their impact.

Patrick Simpson is widely regarded as the best prep kid in colorado for two years running. He is a legit 6-8/9 and has remarkable wingspan. However, hear this and hear it clear. Simpson is possibly a small forward at the next level. At best, he is a PF/SF. No immediate post presence will be felt w/addition of Simpson. He is not a banger, innate rebounder or shot-blocker. He shys from contact. WHY, you ask? Simple, I say. Simpson can shoot the hell out of the ball. He has remarklable touch for a kid that size. Why bang and have three bodies touching you, when you can just pop out and nail a 15ft j.

bottomline is that Simpson will be a major piece of the puzzle in years to come. he is the best 6-9 player we've recruited in forever. Unlike DeWayne who is pure athlete, Simpson has a knowledge and grace about hius game. He is extremely efficient per touch. Good FT shooter, range to 3, a few post-moves(drop step) and have even seen a baby hook and follow-up flushes. Just a great kid to get in the weight room.

BTW, Simpson has a some handle for a kid that size. I'm not sure he'll blow by you, but he does bring the ball up on occasion. Also, can pass from the high post. Generally speaking, Simpson is highly skilled, just not the block presence that is being advertised.

Eric Catro is the low psot presence out of this class. he is a bull in a china shop w/a bevy of low post moves. His coach maintains he has range, but he is the kid who will battle and man the power forward spot. He is extremely tough, hard-nosed and skilled. He consistently has his way w/the more highly regarded junior class in Oklahoma. Neither Sheldon Williams nor Kevin bookout have anything on Castro, IMO. He was the staff first cjhoice for the PF position and will bring it from Day one. He is a devloped kid w/a college frame. At the least, he offers more low post skill than anyone on our current roster, and an additional 5 fouls for the rotation. Great get and a kid, whom if he didn't sign early, would have 5+ scholie offers from Big12 schools. We got a steal and early contributor.

Justin Isham is the best athlete in the class. He has had a good to great year at Lancaster, but nothing other wordly. Its understood that he's a wing at SMU and will need to refine his handle and get used to facing the hoop. However, when he does, watch out. Isham is the only kid Dement has recruited, including Willie D, that can actually use handle, get to the lane, and then flush on you and talk. willie can sky, but he can't seem to put it all together. SMu could use a power dunker or two. Nothing inspires a crowd/team than an Isham type taking his kid and throwing down. Its much needed added athleticism.

Brian Miller is a better, more complete version of Elsey. Actually, Miller may shoot better and brings knowledge, size, marksmanship to the fold.

Ok, now onto the upcoming squad of 2001. By my eyes, SMU will have added by addition and subtraction. Jerryl and Willie are program heros, but the green light thing should have been scaled back years ago. Also, b/c Jerryl will be a PG at the next level, no more split duites regarding ball handling next year. Damon will be given the rock and told to run the squad.

The problem that arises is that Damon isn't a distributor. Our biggest problem, IMO, is our team assist totals. We play too much one on one and infrequently run sets to completion. Maybe, w/Sas gone, Damon can give us a tad more discipline. I'm not sure, though. however, Voc will give us that discipline eventually. He is a highly intelligent kid, a good shooter, and floor general. He is physically hampered this year, IMO. Either way, we are set at the PG for years to come. We should recruit a PG for 2002. A high priority.

The shooting guard will be manned by Q. Safe to say, Q will be all-conference or dern close. His back-up will be newcomer Brian Miller. Thats the techinal two-deep, but don't be surprised to see Hancock slide over whenVoc comes in. Q can move up to the wing. After all, he can guard(Size/quicks) and bound well for either spot. Miller will bring some discipline, a cerebral nature, and zone busting.

The small forward should be Kris Lowe and Justin Isham. Lowe will be a good player for us, IMO. He boards, shoots well, cans FTs, and has limited handle. He also brings the elusive lefty thing. Isham provides dunkability off the bench and needed athleticism and wingspan for pressing etc. These two will be the most unheralded part of th team, but hardly a weak spot.

Our achilles heel has always been the post. Castro adds beef and skill. Simpson adds finesse/coordination and marksmanship.Simpson is the type of kid you feed the ball to, 15 ft away, on the side of the hoop, and he'll try to bank it like Tim duncan or something. Not many big kids shoot intentional bankers from that distance. He has a upper tier skill set w/limited intensity. Hopefully, Demnt can light a fire and quick, actually, since his Uncle or cousin is in the ticket office, i'd love to see him in summer school and running ball at Dedman or Moody all summer.

We return everything else up front which means alot of the same.

Final synopsis: SMU yields similar results as this year. At first, chemistry issues and the influx of youngsters will provide growing pains. Then, with Dements leadership, spirited by All confernce performers Damon Hancock and Q. Ross, the team will gel, find their respective roles, and post-season.
Mullet Mike

Postby ponytalk » Mon Feb 12, 2001 4:48 pm

Wow.

Mullet Mike, you are a mystery to us all. You speak rarely and in the third person, but when you speak, people listen. You know your stuff.

I think that is the most honest and factual based post I have read. I also agree with him 100%.

My only concern is Kris Lowe. I think we will develope eventually, but right now his shot mechanics are terrible. He line drives his shots. That needs to be worked on. He also seems out of shape on the court. He is just a freshman, so I will give him time. I just do not see him being a great player, only a come off the bench to give a rest to someone type player. Time will tell.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby Pony_Fan » Mon Feb 12, 2001 9:28 pm

Yea, I agree..... From what I have seen I am not too keen on Lowe....hopefully we'll see him develop. Kelly has showed some good things the last few games.

Mullet, good point about Hancock. I hadn't thought about it but his assists aren't quite as high as they should be at the PG position. We do tend to get in the 1 on 1 game all too often.

I look forward to the return of Q and see what happens next year with the new kids.
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mullet Mike » Tue Feb 13, 2001 1:02 am

The aforementioned praise is deserved yet humbling. Mullet Mike only knows what he knows and nothing more.

Here is what I know of Mr. Kris Lowe. Despite his awkward release point, his shot doesn't need reconstruction. Unlike Sas, Lowe has an eye. The mechanics don't help, but its compensated for by the eye and repetition. For example, Lee Trevino has a miserable golf swing. It doesn't matter b/c he's comfortable w/the club, has exceptional eye/hand, and the motion is repetitive in motion.

Worry not, Lowe will be fine. If not, Isham will provide the change of pace. Others are capable of playing up(Ross/Miller) and others down(Simpson/Floyd on occasion). Hear what I say and know who said it. Mullet Mike enjoys forums.
Mullet Mike

Postby FWMustang » Tue Feb 13, 2001 12:44 pm

I'm not sure if it will translate to the Hilltop, but Fresno St. lost the leading scorer in the Nation in Alexander, and they are better this year that last. Maybe it's because they don't always look to Alexander and the scoring gets spread around. I hope next year turns out like that for SMU.

GO PONIES!!! GET IN THAT TOURNEY!!!!
Go RED! Go BLUE! Go MUSTANGS! S-M-U!!
FWMustang
Varsity

Postby PonyTales » Wed Feb 14, 2001 5:22 pm

I disagree with Mcambymvp about Lowe. He has talent, and his enthusiasm and work habits are above reproach. But he's very stiff and runs very upright, and seems to get nervous with the ball, although that may have more to do with him being a freshman than with his actual talent level.

However, I agree that the team will be better next year than this year. Damon Hancock is the best player in the WAC, and Q is ready to explode. He has not begun to emerge as an offensive force, because as the ultimate team player, he has willingly stepped back to allow Sasser and Davis to be the headliners. Hancock and Q will be the leaders of a more cohesive team next year, and the freshmen should play a major role. Simpson will be a force from Day 1, as will Castro. Isham and Miller should contribute, maybe as much as Voc has this year. And mark it down, Forinash will be a player in his final year at SMU. The Big Fella will bang some bodies, drop a couple of LBs to improve mobility, and will give us an inside threat we haven't had here since.... Ira Terrell?
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby Mcambymvp » Wed Feb 14, 2001 7:18 pm

Good stuff, although i thought i should defend my position on Lowe. He was pretty highly recruited out of high school because he does have the talent. Not all players play with an identical style. If he can succeed by playing stiff and shooting weird, then more power to him....
Mcambymvp

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 14, 2001 8:01 pm

Inside threat since Ira...Come on. What about my boys Jay Poerner and Bobby Dimpson!

Return to Basketball