PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Las Vegas Tournament Dec 28-29

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Las Vegas Tournament Dec 28-29

Postby Eddie P » Wed Oct 30, 2002 5:14 pm

I know it's still almost a couple of months away, but is anybody going up to Vegas to see the Ponies play. I know it's right after Christmas and right before New Years, so that appears to be keeping people away from it. (Besides the fact that it's in Las Vegas)
I managed to justify the trip by arriving in Vegas on the 27th (Friday) and then just staying there through New Years, since Vegas supposedly is pretty fun at that time. So, anybody else going?

Re: Las Vegas Tournament Dec 28-29

Postby MustangStealth » Wed Oct 30, 2002 7:08 pm

There should be a few band members in Vegas for the tourney. Looking forward to a weekend of fun and a couple of wins!
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Eddie P » Wed Oct 30, 2002 7:31 pm

Where are you guys staying? Or have you gotten that far yet? Good to see some people are going. Anybody else?

Postby Lanacane » Thu Oct 31, 2002 3:45 am

I didn't even know that they were going to Vegas. It is a great place if you never been. It sounds like a good Christmas vacation. I will have to look into it. Do you know where they are playing? And any other info that I would need to know to make arrangements to go?
Lanacane

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:40 am

welcome to the family, Lanacane. We play in UNLV's tourney, so the games will be on the Rebels' home court. Don't know whether there might be charter trips organized by the Mustang Club or not, but there are usually good bargain flights to get to Vegas and obviously plenty of places to stay.

You can go to smumustangs.com for the complete bball schedule.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Eddie P » Thu Oct 31, 2002 12:36 pm

The last time I was in the Mustang Club office, which was tuesday, I asked around and I could not find a single person who was going to this tournament. I talked to Copeland but I didn't ask him, so maybe he's going? I'll ask him the next time I see him on Saturday. Therefore, I seriously doubt there will be any organized trip via SMU. But anyway, I figure it's the close proximity to the holidays that is making this trip unattractive to most people with families and what not. Again, I was doubting my ability to make the trip myself until I made the decision to stay through New Year's Day. I figure if you can either make it through Christmas until the end of the tournament, or arrive at the start of the tourney and stay through New Years, then you'll maximize your time. I'm pretty excited about it, actually. Haven't been on a official vacation all year. It's pretty bad when the people in your office suggest you should take a vacation...But business will be deader than dead the two weeks of Christmas and New Years anyway.

Staying at the Venetian, although I just know that's going to be a mistake and I should be staying at Manadalay Bay. Oh well...

Postby DiamondM » Thu Nov 07, 2002 4:01 pm

Would be going except annoying friend of fiance scheduled wedding that weekend in Lubbock.

We've had pretty good success on the Thomas and Mack floor. I've been there to witness it before, wish I could be there in December.

Does anyone know if this tourney will be picked up by ESPN or another network?

By the way, Venetian is way better unless there is a good concert at HoB or on the Beach at the Mandalay that weekend.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby Eddie P » Thu Nov 07, 2002 6:09 pm

But the Mandalay bay crowd is a younger crowd, so that was my meaning. I hope Venetian is better, considering that I probably won't be able to send my future children to college considering the cost to stay there. But the rooms are around 650 sf, which is pretty damn big. (And bigger than some people's apartments who will remain nameless, Gary) You need to come out, Diamond M. Just alope. Someone in my office just did.

Postby DiamondM » Fri Nov 08, 2002 3:32 pm

Unfortunately, Kyle is actually in the wedding and it would just be bad form for me not to go to my wedding. Kyle and I were cognizant of the all-important sports schedule when scheduling our own wedding. In May, between the Masters and college football season.

I'm still hoping for tv.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby Eddie P » Sun Dec 22, 2002 6:47 pm

Okay, anybody new making thr trip to Vegas? This is an old post but I think it's once again relevant since the Ponies play their next two games in Sin City.

Postby rogershealy » Mon Dec 23, 2002 4:22 am

thinking about going
rogershealy
Varsity

Postby Eddie P » Mon Dec 23, 2002 12:56 pm

You should definitely go Rogers. Take your good-looking girlfriend and go let your hair down for awhile. If you are going to go let me know so I can grab you some tickets for the game so you don't have to do anything silly like pay for them.

Were you at the Baylor game? I didn't see you, but that doesn't mean you weren't there.

Return to Basketball