PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Who are/were the Naughty Nine?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Who are/were the Naughty Nine?

Postby ponyscott » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:53 pm

Just asking, as I don't know.....Sherwood is one, but who are the rest? All alive still?
And are they still banned for life?...Can they be reinstated and shouldnt they now, after so many years?
ponyscott
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Who are/were the Naughty Nine?

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:31 pm

I don't have the book handy, but, Robin Buddecke, George Owen (deceased), John Appleton (deceased), Jack Ryan (deceased) Sherwood Blount, the guy on the film,Robert Stewart?
ALEX LIFESON

Postby RGV Pony » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:35 pm

ALEX LIFESON wrote:I don't have the book handy, but, Robin Buddecke, George Owen (deceased), John Appleton (deceased), Jack Ryan (deceased) Sherwood Blount, the guy on the film,Robert Stewart?

somewhere else it was posted that Buddecke wasnt banned.

Ken Andrews was, as was Bill Stevens.
RGV Pony

Postby mrydel » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:36 pm

John Appleton was a friend of mine in school, and I had some later associations with him. Did not know he had passed away. Any details on his death?
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:44 pm

Another question. Who would you consider to be the NEW naughty nine??
One Trick Pony

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:16 pm

mrydel wrote:John Appleton was a friend of mine in school, and I had some later associations with him. Did not know he had passed away. Any details on his death?

Mark, I hope the info on John is wrong, but I was told he had passed. Maybe someone has info on him.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby Pony Fan » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:19 pm

Parachuting accident
Pony Fan
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:21 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:Another question. Who would you consider to be the NEW naughty nine??

We need to get some females in the group. And not to give money.
mrydel

Postby mrydel » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:24 pm

Pony Fan wrote:Parachuting accident

Wow. His family owned some race horses and I ran into John at Arlington Park just by chance once. He had a horse running and I made a killing on it. Eventually ran in the Derby that year. He dated my first wife's roommate at SMU. I sure hate to hear this type of news.
mrydel

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:24 pm

John Appleton: Philanthropist, 55, who led an active life

11:37 PM CDT on Monday, May 2, 2005

By GRETEL C. KOVACH / The Dallas Morning News

John Appleton played golf, scuba dived, jumped from the skies and ran long and hard. After he took part in 21 marathons and nearly 4,000 parachute jumps, the life of the 55-year-old Park Cities investor and philanthropist was cut short Sunday afternoon in a skydiving accident.

Mr. Appleton fell to his death near Whitewright, Texas, when his main parachute tangled with the reserve parachute, Skydive Dallas officials said.

"Obviously that's very hard," daughter Katie Appleton said of losing her father. "But we don't blame the sport. ... He really loved it and enjoyed it, and we all supported him."

Services will be at 2 p.m. Wednesday at First Presbyterian Church of Dallas, 408 Park Ave.

John Stephen Appleton Jr. said he and his father started skydiving together 10 years ago. John Appleton had 72 hours of free fall experience. His son racked up 2,000 jumps, his daughter Tracy Appleton 100 and daughter Katie about 50.

The Appletons said skydiving is a safe sport and no one ever asked Mr. Appleton to stop.

"That would have been like asking someone to not go outside for fear of being struck by lightning," his son said.

The Fannin County Sheriff's Department is investigating the death, WFAA-TV (Channel 8) reported. Skydive Dallas officials said they have not determined why the parachutes malfunctioned.

"My father was one of the genuine lovers of life," John Appleton Jr. said. "He was more than anything a friend to all those around him. While we're obviously heartbroken that he has died so young, I feel there are so many people that benefited from his life."

Born in Evanston, Ill., Mr. Appleton graduated from Southern Methodist University in 1972 and earned a master's in business administration from the school in 1973.

He was president of Chicago-based Appleton Electric Co. and a board member of Emerson Electric Co., which bought the family-owned company. He returned to Dallas in 1983 and invested in his own company and the renovation of the Granada Theater on Greenville Avenue, among other ventures.

Mr. Appleton was banned for a year as a Southern Methodist University Mustang booster in 1985 and was cited, along with eight others, by NCAA officials who later suspended the SMU football program.

He had donated about $200,000 to SMU, but it was $900 for car repairs that he gave to an athlete that got him into trouble. Mr. Appleton had witnessed the accident and said he wanted to help the athlete but later apologized.

In addition to his three children, Mr. Appleton is survived by his wife of 31 years, Deborah Appleton; father Arthur Appleton; sister Linda Potter; brothers Tom Appleton, Arthur Appleton Jr., Billy Appleton and Jim Appleton, and their spouses and children.

Memorials may be made to Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Staff writer Katie Fairbank contributed to this report
ALEX LIFESON

Postby mrydel » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:27 pm

Thanks for that Alex
mrydel

Postby SMU89 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:08 am

One Trick Pony wrote:Another question. Who would you consider to be the NEW naughty nine??

3x3

Hmmmmm
SMU89

Postby Junior » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:13 am

i was never good at that new math.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby One Trick Pony » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:14 am

If you play it back backwards it's the same OMG
One Trick Pony

Postby mrydel » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:16 am

I appreciate all the messages I received in respect to John's death. Still kind of shocking to learn. He was a good person.
mrydel

Next

Return to Football