PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Burger wars, re-visited

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Burger wars, re-visited

Postby Pony4Life » Tue Apr 09, 2002 7:32 pm

I know, this isn't football. But in the interest of providing valuable information to fans who come to Dallas to see their team get whipped by the Pony Stampede, I thought I might call on our culinary critics -- Peruna Punch, whatasteve and PK -- for an expert opinion.

On a recent trip to Two Rows, I noticed on the menu that they have a new item: a burger with TWO half-pound patties on there.

I'd offer my own opinion, but I measure in at 5'8" and 145 pounds. The chance I could squeeze that into my gizzard is about as likely as Sean Stilley leading the little froggies to the Conference USA title next year. In other words: No Way.

Fellas, can we get your expert opinions?
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Re: Burger wars, re-visited

Postby PK » Tue Apr 09, 2002 7:55 pm

Glad to jump in....I still think the burger or cheeseburger at Campisi's is my favorite. They may be a little inconsistant, but when you hit a good day or night, they are the best.

Recently met PerunaPunch for a burger at 1st & Ten and it just wasn't that great (sorry PerunaPunch). The difference is that 1st & Ten uses a patty made from flacked beef compressed back into a patty whereas Campisi's uses real ground beef hand shaped into patties. The texture and flavor of the Campisi's burgers are better as a result.

Actually, I like the burgers at Balls too, but you have to put up with about a million little kids to eat there.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby whatasteve » Tue Apr 09, 2002 8:15 pm

PK, you're killing me. Are you going to start this Campisi's silliness again? Campisi's makes great pizza, but their burger doesn't hold a candle to 1st and 10's. Ball's is overrated, and the noise from the kids is smothering.

As for Two Rows - I'm in if you are. Let's see if we can get PerunaPunch to step out of his new gig as a corporate bigshot long enough to have a big burger with the common people he used to hang with.
whatasteve
Junior Varsity

Postby PK » Tue Apr 09, 2002 8:47 pm

OK, Whatasteve....as best I can tell, you come from that part of the world where a hamburger all the way means onions, ketchup and pickles. Lets get Mr. Corporate Big Shot and you and me together at Campisi's one evening (your choice) and I'll see to it that you get a GOOD burger and fries. If you don't like them....I'll buy, including your drinks (limit of two each ). Image
PerunaPunch has my e-mail address....let me know.

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 04-09-2002).]
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby PX » Wed Apr 10, 2002 2:29 am

I demand to be included in any activity that involves the consumption of large quantities of well cooked beef. What night were you guys planning to hold this cholesterol adventure?
PX
Varsity

Postby PK » Wed Apr 10, 2002 11:30 am

Stay tuned PX...no date has been set yet.
PK

Postby whatasteve » Wed Apr 10, 2002 2:47 pm

OK, you're on. When I point out why Campisi's burger is inferior, you're buying. Same deal when we visit the great Mr. Bailey at First and 10.

And PX - send your name and e-mail address to the webmaster and I'll get it from him to set this up.

[This message has been edited by whatasteve (edited 04-10-2002).]
whatasteve
Junior Varsity

Postby BoazHoes » Wed Apr 10, 2002 5:11 pm

Can I go???
BoazHoes
Varsity

Postby PK » Wed Apr 10, 2002 6:46 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BoazHoes:
<B>Can I go???</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surely you jest!! Go mooch off of Rogers.
PK

Postby BoazHoes » Wed Apr 10, 2002 9:15 pm

Once again PK's randomness. Has anybody tried the grease burgers from that old lady behind Milo's. That place gave me the creeps but her burgers and jap poopers Kicked Ace.
BoazHoes
Varsity

Postby PX » Thu Apr 11, 2002 2:10 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by whatasteve:
<B>OK, you're on. When I point out why Campisi's burger is inferior, you're buying. Same deal when we visit the great Mr. Bailey at First and 10.

And PX - send your name and e-mail address to the webmaster and I'll get it from him to set this up.

JEmbree826@AOL.Com

[This message has been edited by whatasteve (edited 04-10-2002).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
PX
Varsity

Postby PX » Thu Apr 11, 2002 2:11 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by whatasteve:
<B>OK, you're on. When I point out why Campisi's burger is inferior, you're buying. Same deal when we visit the great Mr. Bailey at First and 10.

JEmbree826@AOL.Com

[This message has been edited by whatasteve (edited 04-10-2002).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
PX
Varsity

Postby PerunaPunch » Thu Apr 11, 2002 11:50 am

Must be something about Boaz Hall (I was in room 318... And I only remember that because I got a ticket from the campus cops for ‘broadcasting’ the Boaz 318 Blues) and those marvelous mystical Milo’s Jalapeño cheeseburgers. Love ‘em!

Since PK has thrown down the gauntlet, it’s up to him to pick a night. I’m free any night but Sunday.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby PK » Thu Apr 11, 2002 12:08 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BoazHoes:
<B>Once again PK's randomness. Has anybody tried the grease burgers from that old lady behind Milo's. That place gave me the creeps but her burgers and jap poopers Kicked Ace. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The place is called Rose's and your are right, the burgers are really good....but the place is dry as a bone. I understand that is where Corky Campisi goes for his burgers. Maybe you can get Rogers to take you there. Image

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 04-11-2002).]
PK

Postby Eddie P » Thu Apr 11, 2002 12:34 pm

Don Henley has been known to drop into Rose's from time to time. I hate to admit it, butI'm siding with Boazhoes on this one.

And I fail to see what is so special about 1st and 10, though I'll again admit I'm biased.

Next

Return to Around the Hilltop