PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Natatorium is Shameful

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Natatorium is Shameful

Postby Water Pony » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:53 pm

Jerry Heidenreich (’72) a 23-time All-America swimmer and winner of two gold medals, one silver and one bronze at the 1972 Olympics.

Steve Lunquist in 1984 won two Olympic Gold medals: in the 100 meter breaststroke, and the 400 meter medley relay.

Lar Frolander won the gold in the 100 metre butterfly event at the Sydney Olympic Games in 2000 for Sweden

In 2000, Martina Moravcova won silver medals in the 200 free and 100 fly at the 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney, Australia, as a member of the Slovakian National team.

In 1996, Gold for Ryan Berube

Summary list of SMU Olympic Swimmers and Divers

2004 - Athens, Greece
Camilo Becerra (Columbia)
Lars Forlander (Sweden)

2000 - Sydney, Australia
Camilo Becerra (Colombia)
Lar Frolander (Sweden) Gold Medal

1996 - Atlanta, Georgia
Ali Al-Hasan (Kuwait)
Casey Barrett (Canada)
Ryan Berube (USA) - [b]gold medal[/b]
Scott Donie (USA)
Lars Frolander (Sweden) - [b]silver medal[/b]
Tony Iglesias (Bolivia)
Enrico Linscheer (Suriname)
Alain Sergile (Haiti)

1992 - Barcelona, Spain
Scott Donie (USA) - [b]silver medal[/b]
Lars Frolander (Sweden) - [b]silver medal[/b]
Craig Jackson (South Africa)
Enrico Linscheer (Suriname)
Cliff Lyne (South Africa)

1988 - Seoul, Korea
Carlos Romo (Mexico)

1984 - Los Angeles, California
Steve Lundquist (USA) - 2 [b]gold medals[/b]
Ricardo Prado (Brazil) - silver medal
Rich Saeger (USA) – [b]gold medal[/b]
Eddie Safa (Mexico)

1980 - Moscow, Soviet Union
Steve Barnicoat (USA)
Steve Lundquist (USA)
Guy Goosen (Zimbabwe)

1976 - Montreal, Canada
Carlos Nazario (Puerto Rico)

1972 - Munich, West Germany
Jerry Heidenreich (USA) - [b]2 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze medal[/b]

1968 - Mexico City, Mexico
Ron Mills (USA) - [b]bronze medal[/b]
Ken Merten (USA)
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby AusTxPony » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:21 pm

I had forgotten about Donne's Silver Medal. I watched Scott Donne's performance at the Olympics (TV) as well as Lundquist (in the stands for games in LA). Great Pride I felt! Probably our most successful Olympic Sport.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby Water Pony » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:19 pm

AusTxPony wrote:I had forgotten about Donne's Silver Medal. I watched Scott Donne's performance at the Olympics (TV) as well as Lundquist (in the stands for games in LA). Great Pride I felt! Probably our most successful Olympic Sport.

Thx, ATP. Swimming and Diving are a great source of personal and university pride. I am often surprised by the awareness the student body has for the Men's and Women's team, as well as their attendance and support for major meets. There have been some outstanding swimming meets at Perkins, including SMU hosting the 1968 National AAU Indoor Championships in that six lane, 25 yard pool. Amazing. With the exception of the Dallas Classics, we will never host a large college or conference event again in the antiquated facility, despite the great tradition.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Digetydog » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:40 pm

Water Pony wrote:
AusTxPony wrote:I had forgotten about Donne's Silver Medal. I watched Scott Donne's performance at the Olympics (TV) as well as Lundquist (in the stands for games in LA). Great Pride I felt! Probably our most successful Olympic Sport.

Thx, ATP. Swimming and Diving are a great source of personal and university pride. I am often surprised by the awareness the student body has for the Men's and Women's team, as well as their attendance and support for major meets. There have been some outstanding swimming meets at Perkins, including SMU hosting the 1968 National AAU Indoor Championships in that six lane, 25 yard pool. Amazing. With the exception of the Dallas Classics, we will never host a large college or conference event again in the antiquated facility, despite the great tradition.

Why couldn't we help Dallas or a suburb build a world class pool? Sharing cost with Plano might make it doable?
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Water Pony » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:51 pm

Given the swimmers and divers schedule, including daily two a day workouts, AM and PM, building a new faciltity in Plano or another suburban adds additional challenges for the student-athletes. Obviously, the preference is for an on-campus aquatic center. Candidly, even sharing it with HP would not be easy, since the swim practice and meets are likely to overlap for 4 teams (Mens and Womens), plus diving. Logistics would be a nightmare and not give the lift for recruiting or competition events.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Digetydog » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:30 pm

Water Pony wrote:Given the swimmers and divers schedule, including daily two a day workouts, AM and PM, building a new faciltity in Plano or another suburban adds additional challenges for the student-athletes. Obviously, the preference is for an on-campus aquatic center. Candidly, even sharing it with HP would not be easy, since the swim practice and meets are likely to overlap for 4 teams (Mens and Womens), plus diving. Logistics would be a nightmare and not give the lift for recruiting or competition events.

Could we put a bubble on outdoor pool for training? Have another facility for meets?
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Water Pony » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:52 pm

Georgian Architectural Police would never permit such as eye sore. And, it would need to be big, very big, especially with the Diving Tower.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby BigT3x » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:52 pm

Digetydog wrote:Why couldn't we help Dallas or a suburb build a world class pool? Sharing cost with Plano might make it doable?

Sharing the cost with Plano? Really?

SMU can afford to build a pool. It's not that different from a fountain, and Jerry Turner loves to build those.
BigT3x
All-American

Postby Hoss » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:52 am

Sure, it's affordable, but someone will have to tell the AD there are swim teams at SMU.
Hoss
All-American

Postby leopold » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:02 pm

So once we build a new natatorium what do we use Perkins for?

It's been a couple of years since I've been on campus, what do we need? I could see us using it as an alumni center - being located at the center of campus it allows would allow us to use it during tailgaiting and other purposes.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby couch 'em » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:05 pm

It its literally falling apart. It will be demo'd
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby CalallenStang » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:12 pm

leopold wrote:So once we build a new natatorium what do we use Perkins for?

It's been a couple of years since I've been on campus, what do we need? I could see us using it as an alumni center - being located at the center of campus it allows would allow us to use it during tailgaiting and other purposes.

We do need an alumni center, but from what I understand, the idea is to build a new natatorium on the current Perkins site
CalallenStang

Postby PoconoPony » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:06 pm

CalallenStang wrote:
leopold wrote:So once we build a new natatorium what do we use Perkins for?

We do need an alumni center, but from what I understand, the idea is to build a new natatorium on the current Perkins site

The current architectural plan call for the natatorium to remain at the current site. Part of the problem is the out door pool which is integral to both swim teams. Ideally, the natatorium would be located to another site with more room to facilitate a 50 meter indoor pool, 10 lanes, movable bulk head to reconfigure the pool along with multiple diving boards at the 1, 3 and 5 meter heights and a designated diving area. The current site will not easily accomodate these needs as the space is too small would push the building right up to the dorms. The site is perfect for an alumni center, visitors center, recruiting center or something to that effect. Site needs to be opened up and landscaped to accomodate Mustang Club or Alumni Club functions on the Vard and be a visual center piece that adds to the attractiveness of the campus.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby AusTxPony » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:06 am

What's planned for the old theater site across Central? That would provide the room for a swim/dive complex wouldn't it?
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby smustatesman » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:45 pm

AusTxPony wrote:How many Gold medal Olympians do we have? My guess is Jerry H., the Lunk, and Moracova. Any more?

Ronnie Mills should be listed as to having received a gold medal in the '68 Mexico City Olympics for the 400IM relay. While he didn't participate in the finals, he swam for team USA in the prelims. As such, all swimmers who swam for the USA in prelims or finals got gold medals.
Smustatesman aka NUKE......I procreate and I vote.
smustatesman
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports