PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Second Century Updates

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Stallion » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:25 pm

"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: SMU Second Century Updates

Postby RE Tycoon » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:17 pm

When does the campaign wrap? What's the impact on the endowment? I'm no expert, but that doesn't seem like a lot of endowed faculty positions, is it?

It'd be nice if we could hit $1 billion, but that doesn't seem likely if this thing wraps in 2013.
#NewLobCity
RE Tycoon
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:55 pm

"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby CalallenStang » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:08 am

RE Tycoon wrote:When does the campaign wrap? What's the impact on the endowment? I'm no expert, but that doesn't seem like a lot of endowed faculty positions, is it?

It'd be nice if we could hit $1 billion, but that doesn't seem likely if this thing wraps in 2013.

http://www.smu.edu/SecondCentury/CampaignOverview

Campaign Goals

Financial Goal: $750 Million by 2015
Yearly Alumni Participation Goal: 25% by 2015
Alumni Participation Goal: 50% by 2015
CalallenStang

Postby gostangs » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:34 pm

it will go to 2015 regardless - so expect an increase in the goal. i think that happened twice last time. would like to see a bit more endowment going forward and less bricks - we need to get closer to 2B in order to move up where we want to be.
gostangs

Postby BigT3x » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:09 pm

CalallenStang wrote:
Campaign Goals

Now I know why SMU hasn't given up on calling me, despite me screening their calls for two years now.
BigT3x
All-American

Postby CalallenStang » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:33 pm

BigT3x wrote:
CalallenStang wrote:
Campaign Goals

Now I know why SMU hasn't given up on calling me, despite me screening their calls for two years now.

You should give, even if it's only $5. Every alum that donates helps improve our university ranking (seriously - alumni giving rate is a metric in the US News and World Report rankings)

Plus I found that they stopped calling after I gave
CalallenStang

Postby friarwolf » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:05 am

Send at least 15 bucks...costs smu about 10 bucks for processing but cal is right, percentage of alumni giving is a big metric in determining rankings. Our low rate of giving dings us 10 spots in the rankings......
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby BigT3x » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:30 pm

friarwolf wrote:Send at least 15 bucks...costs smu about 10 bucks for processing but cal is right, percentage of alumni giving is a big metric in determining rankings. Our low rate of giving dings us 10 spots in the rankings......

I don't care if they lose money, I just want them to stop calling. They got 70k tuition money out of me just a few years ago. Also worked as a landscaping indentured servant for a while because of the SMU PD busting me. I don't owe SMU [deleted].
BigT3x
All-American

Postby CalallenStang » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:26 pm

friarwolf wrote:Send at least 15 bucks...costs smu about 10 bucks for processing but cal is right, percentage of alumni giving is a big metric in determining rankings. Our low rate of giving dings us 10 spots in the rankings......

Why does it cost us so much to process giving? We need to get that fixed

Big T3x - it's people like you that are dragging down the value of an SMU degree by keeping us so low in the rankings. Give something.
CalallenStang

Postby BigT3x » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:07 pm

CalallenStang wrote:Big T3x - it's people like you that are dragging down the value of an SMU degree by keeping us so low in the rankings. Give something.

How much did you donate your first two years out of undergrad? Did SMU call you nonstop to get that donation? What was the tuition when you graduated?
BigT3x
All-American

Postby CalallenStang » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:21 pm

BigT3x wrote:
CalallenStang wrote:Big T3x - it's people like you that are dragging down the value of an SMU degree by keeping us so low in the rankings. Give something.

How much did you donate your first two years out of undergrad? Did SMU call you nonstop to get that donation? What was the tuition when you graduated?

I'm a recent grad (two years out right now). Tuition was $33,000/year (give or take) my last year. I donated $100/year (split among different funds that I wanted to see receive the money). They called me nonstop and I screened the calls because I prefer to give online. Once I gave the calls stopped.

I would have given more than I did but it's difficult to do so on a grad student's budget
CalallenStang

Postby gostangs » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:16 pm

just give 20 bucks - its a private school and depends on donations - also that ranking thing is a big deal - i give something to SMU every year to help with that. some years its 20 bucks - some years it has been a lot more - but it is a great way to show the school means something to you and you value your degree.
gostangs

Postby HorseSense » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:45 pm

Question---on how giving counts on ranking. Let's say you are a parent, friend, etc and give in the alum's name (indicated in spot for name other than donor). Does it count in the rankings or does it only count if the money itself is given by the alum?
It makes sense to me.
HorseSense
Varsity

Postby friarwolf » Thu May 03, 2012 12:09 pm

CalallenStang wrote:

Why does it cost us so much to process giving? We need to get that fixed

Big T3x - it's people like you that are dragging down the value of an SMU degree by keeping us so low in the rankings. Give something.

Credit card companies charge a fee to process, you gotta pay people to open, sort, process envelopes with checks inside - that kind of stuff..........
friarwolf
Heisman

Next

Return to Around the Hilltop