PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Who is Garrett Wilson - bball commit?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Who is Garrett Wilson - bball commit?

Postby SMU 86 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:52 pm

Since he is being considered a walk on I don't think he counts towards the 4 scholarships IMO.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Re: Who is Garrett Wilson - bball commit?

Postby whitwiki » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:14 pm

DallasDiehard wrote:19.0 points per game
1.4 assists per game
4.3 rebounds per game
1.3 steals per game

Pretty decent competition, right? I'd say this kid looks well worth a chance.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/fsVg6_ ... wilson.htm

I went to cinco ranch. Same district as the alief schools, so yes decent competition.
whitwiki
Heisman

Postby whitwiki » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:16 pm

Well we used to be but, judging from the schedule, alief dropped out...
whitwiki
Heisman

Postby PoconoPony » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:47 pm

Accepted as a walk-on who will attend SMU on an academic scholarship.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Katy Parent » Sat May 26, 2012 2:36 pm

Garrett is a great kid. We have known the family for many many years. My son is the same age and has played on multiple basketball teams with Garrett. I coached Garrett in some youth sports. Parents are great. Garrett's Dad, Gerald, played football at Stanford and is an extremely successful businessman. Good, hard-working, smart and disciplined kid. Absolutely a positive to the program - and as mentioned before, apparently his academic scholarship makes it a win-win situation. I have no ties to SMU, but personally will now watch them when possible (and my Aggies are not playing)!!! Heard his AAU coach once joke that once Garrett crosses halfcourt, he is looking for his shot!!! I see him as more of a 2 than a 1, but what the heck do I know. Good luck and SMU got a good one, in my opinion!!
Katy Parent

Postby ponyscott » Sat May 26, 2012 3:58 pm

Katy Parent wrote:Garrett is a great kid. We have known the family for many many years. My son is the same age and has played on multiple basketball teams with Garrett. I coached Garrett in some youth sports. Parents are great. Garrett's Dad, Gerald, played football at Stanford and is an extremely successful businessman. Good, hard-working, smart and disciplined kid. Absolutely a positive to the program - and as mentioned before, apparently his academic scholarship makes it a win-win situation. I have no ties to SMU, but personally will now watch them when possible (and my Aggies are not playing)!!! Heard his AAU coach once joke that once Garrett crosses halfcourt, he is looking for his shot!!! I see him as more of a 2 than a 1, but what the heck do I know. Good luck and SMU got a good one, in my opinion!!

Thanks for posting! A great addition that doesn't count towards the schollies
ponyscott

Postby PoconoPony » Sun May 27, 2012 8:08 am

Each sport has an athletic scholarship limit established by the NCAA ( 85 football, 11 mens swimming, 11 womens swimming). Each college coach has the option how they use their total dollar alotment. In football and basketball the athlete usually gets a "full ride" meaning they get the full benefits of what the NCAA defines as a scholarship. A "full ride" usually means tution, room, books, meals and laundry. Obviously the cost of athletic scholarships differs greatly between the public and private universities. It is for this reason that private colleges must spend more than double for each scholarship. It is common practice for most "minor" sports to split up the cost of a full scholarship and give out "partial" scholarships not to exceed the $$$ limits of the cost of a full ride at that school. This can be done at the coaches descretion in any amount or combination based on $$$$ alotted as part of the partial. For example, a soccer athlete may be given a partial scholarship amount equal to the school's cost for room and books; cost of tuition; cost for room and board....etc. up to a full ride for a truly elite athlete. This is where the public schools have a huge advantage over the private schools as you can offer a minor sport athlete a partial scholarship and it is still reasonable for that athlete to afford to attend that public school paying the balance on his own dime. This very important for kids who are average academically and do not qualify for academic aid. This means a huge advantage in depth and total athletes in that sport vs. the financial limitations at a private school. It therefore becomes paramount for a minor sport at private schools to find very high academic kids in an attempt to combine a partial athletic scholarship with academic grants/ scholarships to give the kid the equivalent of a full ride and/or at least make the unsupported balance affordable for the athlete. The best case scenario is obviously the kid whose parents can afford and are willing to pay all the bills ( eg....Joe Montana's QB son attending ND on Joe's tab and not counting against the NCAA scholarship limit) and/or the kid who is academically gifted and qualifies for grants/academic scholarships ( eg....Garret Wilson ) who does not count against NCAA limits. If the athletic department $$$$ are not involved in any part of the kids college costs, it does not count against the NCAA limits. If so, it counts against those NCAA limits. Lastly, the minor sport coach has the option every year to adjust the % of the partial as they desire.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Sun May 27, 2012 1:44 pm

A player receiving a full academic scholarship won't count for scholarship limit if he can maintain a 3.3 GPA after first year-btw NCAA rules do not allow partial scholarships in FB or BB

15.5.1.2.2 Exception—Receipt of Institutional Academic Aid Only. In football or basketball, a student-athlete who was recruited by the awarding institution and whose only source of institutional financial aid is academic aid based solely on the recipient’s academic record at the certifying institution, awarded independently of athletics interests and in amounts consistent with the pattern of all such awards made by the institution, may compete without counting in the institution’s financial aid team limits, provided he or she has completed at least one academic year of full-time enrollment at the certifying institution and has achieved a cumulative grade-point average of at least 3.300 (on a 4.000 scale) at the certifying institution. (Adopted: 10/27/05 effective 8/1/06)
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Previous

Return to Basketball