PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

3-9 at best

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

3-9 at best

Postby Lebanese4Life » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:29 am

After watching our team perform in our first 3 games, the only teams remaining on the schedule I see us beating are Temple and USF, and those aren't even guaranteed. Memphis looked good against Arkansas State. And UCONN, although 0-3, hung around with #15 Michigan and were competitive with undefeated Maryland the week before. I don't see us beating Houston away, they took care of business against a pretty good Rice team on the road. Rutgers, Cincy, and UCF are sure losses.
Lebanese4Life
Hall of Famer

Re: 3-9 at best

Postby JoeKidd » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:34 am

I just don't agree. We have lost to 2 top 25 teams and although we let an FCS opponent push us to the edge we found a way to win and they are one of the best FCS teams. We also hopefully will get a few starters back next week and am not ready to throw in the towel on us going 6-6 or even 7-5. It's always easy to get down after a loss.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby Lebanese4Life » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:48 am

We didnt just lose to two top 25 teams.. we got absolutely HAMMERED by them.. it was embarrassing to watch! And the sad thing is it's not even over.. TCU will do the exact same thing. A&M sat Manziel down early in the 3rd quarter. Had he stayed in deeper into the game they woulda hung 80+ on us easy.

And I really dont care how good of an FCS team MSU is, they are still FCS. And btw, they just got trashed by SFA 52-38. SFA racked up 567 total yards and we could only manage 31 pts. Sorry, but the outlook on this team is not looking good
Lebanese4Life
Hall of Famer

Postby BIGHORSE » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:15 am

I feel like I went back in time to 1989, we are still getting crushed just like

we did back then.
BIGHORSE
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:00 am

After the Tech game, I figured we might do well to win 3 home games and finish with 3-4 total wins. After Montana State, I began to question whether we could even win 3 games this year. Last night didn't tell me anything, so I'm looking at this TCU game as a key indicator of how the season will play out. If we get schooled in Ft Worth, it's time to look forward to hoops season and a 3-9 football season is a stretch. If we can compete with TCU for 60 minutes, I'm back to thinking we might be good enough to win as many as 5 games but I've seen nothing from this SMU team to suggest they will sniff a bowl game this year.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangxc » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:21 am

5 wins minimum.
mustangxc

Postby Lebanese4Life » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:25 am

so in addition to Temple and USF, you're saying we beat 2 of (@Memphis, UCONN, @UH). I dont see that happening. we do have a shot in Memphis, but not likely.
Lebanese4Life
Hall of Famer

Postby Cougar King » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:52 am

mustangxc wrote:5 wins minimum.

Sorry but I only see Temple, USF and Memphis as the only likely wins and of course, none of those are guaranteed. If the Memphis team that showed up against Arky State plays against SMU, I can see that being an L.

As of right now, I see the ponies ending up anywhere from 1-11 to 4-8.
Cougar King

Postby mrydel » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:45 am

I watched Rutgers. We will be the underdog and certainly might lose but they are a beatable team. Their top running back hurt his leg and he may be out. If we can get a pass rush of any kind (questionable) it is a game that could be won at home. Believe it or not, Arkansas' secondary is worse than ours.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby VarsityShop » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:05 am

Fellows we will improve as the season progresses and move into conference play.
VarsityShop
Varsity

Postby austinponie » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:29 am

VarsityShop wrote:Fellows we will improve as the season progresses and move into conference play.

Agreed, and holding judgement until after season.

Those killer nonconference schedules are a double-edged sword, for sure...
austinponie
All-American

Postby JoeKidd » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:40 am

Cougar King wrote:
mustangxc wrote:5 wins minimum.

Sorry but I only see Temple, USF and Memphis as the only likely wins and of course, none of those are guaranteed. If the Memphis team that showed up against Arky State plays against SMU, I can see that being an L.

As of right now, I see the ponies ending up anywhere from 1-11 to 4-8.

I am penciling in Houston High as a win by the way.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby Cougar King » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:48 am

JoeKidd wrote:I am penciling in Houston High as a win by the way.

LOL, based on what? You don't have a competent defense and no offense. We hardly ever lose in Houston (Since 2006, we have only lost 5 or 6 games in Houston) plus SMU never does well in Houston either, whether it's UH or Rice they're playing. We on the otherhand are 3-0 and picking up steam.

Our true freshman qbs O'Korn and Ward are finding their swagger and both of them ran and threw all over Rice's D.
Cougar King

Postby JoeKidd » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:58 am

Cougar King wrote:
JoeKidd wrote:I am penciling in Houston High as a win by the way.

LOL, based on what? You don't have a competent defense and no offense. We hardly ever lose in Houston (Since 2006, we have only lost 5 or 6 games in Houston) plus SMU never does well in Houston either, whether it's UH or Rice they're playing. We on the otherhand are 3-0 and picking up steam.

Our true freshman qbs O'Korn and Ward are finding their swagger and both of them ran and threw all over Rice's D.

Based simply on the fact that we will beat you...talk to me after the game.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:00 am

4 to 7 wins. I say that because there are 3 or 4 games that could either way.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Next

Return to Football