PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sorry Boys...it's never going to happen

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Sorry Boys...it's never going to happen

Postby feelthehorsepower » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:54 pm

Should we just go into the FCS and become a powerhouse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
feelthehorsepower
Heisman

Postby Dwan » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:02 pm

I think that is a question that every football school outside the P5 conferences will have to ask themselves within the next 10 years. Many of these schools will look at the insane deficits they are running and ask themselves what is the point. 10 years ago a school like Utah or TCU could make an impact, I don't think that will be possible in the next decade.
Dwan
Heisman

Postby sbsmith » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:10 pm

feelthehorsepower wrote:Should we just go into the FCS and become a powerhouse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You think attendance is bad now, we'll have about 1000 butts in seats per game if we drop to FCS.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyKai » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:21 pm

it's always funny when people pick games like this to proclaim "woe is us," like today's result is a sentence for an eternity in football purgatory. June doesn't recruit and has some sh#tty assistant coaches. nothing that can't be fixed.
PonyKai

Postby SMU 86 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:25 pm

We can win. No way we should have gotten shut out. The administration has put us on level ground in admissions, see Frazier and Jerry Seana. Just need to recruit for lower tier BCS players and we can win. As I have said before that we just have to make some adjustments.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby gostangs » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:08 pm

bingo. its not that hard a deal

hire a young aggressive coach that runs through walls, is ALWAYS hungry, works his [deleted] off and understand his university
leave enough budget to hire a HUGE number of rock star recruiters - get them away from great schools by over paying
park those guys in the high school office of every HC in Texas that has produced 2 or more D-1 players each of the last 3 years.
Get a few alumni to fund a special uniform enhancement program - take the examples off this web site as prototypes
Make sure your OC has a spread offense mentality, but also with a TRUELY innovative offense that has a power set. If he even hints at the QB running bcd and forth to the sideline his contract is null and void.
FInd a DC that has that crazed gun runner mentality - and recruits guys we need to worry about 24/7
lei's, extra mascots, comments about attendance or lights, hiring more than 2 assistants eligible for Medicare or wearing all black are all subject to immediate null and void contract
win our conference and double the pay of every coach. Get us in a BCS game and triple your salary and the salary of every coach
hire a full time in stadium game day experience person. It is there job to get people from the BLVD into the stadium. THey have cart blanch to get that done - including obnoxious air horns, threats, attack dogs or whatever…..

there. any questions?
gostangs

Postby Silk » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:40 pm

With Louisville and Rutgers leaving next year, there's no team we can't hang with. Also, there's no team we can't lose to.
That's either exciting or maddening. I'm not sure which.
But I'll go with the first one while we wait for the start of next season. Makes for a more tolerable offseason.
Now let's go shock the world and beat UCF.
Silk
Varsity

Postby Oliver » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:28 am

gostangs wrote:bingo. its not that hard a deal

hire a young aggressive coach that runs through walls, is ALWAYS hungry, works his [deleted] off and understand his university
leave enough budget to hire a HUGE number of rock star recruiters - get them away from great schools by over paying
park those guys in the high school office of every HC in Texas that has produced 2 or more D-1 players each of the last 3 years.
Get a few alumni to fund a special uniform enhancement program - take the examples off this web site as prototypes
Make sure your OC has a spread offense mentality, but also with a TRUELY innovative offense that has a power set. If he even hints at the QB running bcd and forth to the sideline his contract is null and void.
FInd a DC that has that crazed gun runner mentality - and recruits guys we need to worry about 24/7
lei's, extra mascots, comments about attendance or lights, hiring more than 2 assistants eligible for Medicare or wearing all black are all subject to immediate null and void contract
win our conference and double the pay of every coach. Get us in a BCS game and triple your salary and the salary of every coach
hire a full time in stadium game day experience person. It is there job to get people from the BLVD into the stadium. THey have cart blanch to get that done - including obnoxious air horns, threats, attack dogs or whatever…..

there. any questions?

awesome, let's do it!
#GodFather #Tempo
Oliver
All-American

Postby feelthehorsepower » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:37 am

gostangs wrote:bingo. its not that hard a deal

there. any questions?

I second this.

And we do need a new offense. The run and shoot will not work. I WANT RUNNING GAME! I WANT AN AWESOME AERIAL ATTACK!

And also we do need a better defensive strategy. Defense wins championships, offense packs houses...so we need both.
feelthehorsepower
Heisman

Postby JoeKidd » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:12 am

SMU 86 wrote:We can win. No way we should have gotten shut out. The administration has put us on level ground in admissions, see Frazier and Jerry Seana. Just need to recruit for lower tier BCS players and we can win. As I have said before that we just have to make some adjustments.

While we have come along way in loosening the admissions process, I still do not believe this administration is 100% behind athletics and it starts with RGT. He wants to run an Ivy League like school where athletics takes a back seat to academics and the faculty is allowed to have a disdain for athletes. This attitude from the top down in the administration has to change to foster a culture of winning. Not being offensive to Hart, but I believe he was brought in solely so he could be controlled by RGT.

Get rid of RGT, tell the faculty they better get onboard and support athletics or they can go the eff back north, west or east and get in a big time AD who can help us find Junes' heir and take football and all athletic programs to the next level. Nothing is impossible, but we better push hard now from all sides to get our University back to the athletic levels we all want.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby ponyinNC » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:12 am

Jones inability or unwillingness to recruit in Texas will forever be his downfall. That falls squarely on the HC.

that UCF game following our win at TCU seemed like the point at which he stopped caring and just wanted to cash the paycheck. We never developed a QB aside from lucking into GG. So many failures- Bo Levi, Padron, McDermott, kaiser, now Burcham.

QB guru ? Please. Art briles is a QB guru.
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:36 am

Silk wrote:With Louisville and Rutgers leaving next year, there's no team we can't hang with. Also, there's no team we can't lose to.
That's either exciting or maddening. I'm not sure which.
But I'll go with the first one while we wait for the start of next season. Makes for a more tolerable offseason.
Now let's go shock the world and beat UCF.

Look Corso we didn't play Louisville this year and still are struggling to get to .500. :roll:
In fact the only FBS teams we beat were below .500. And we will be less talented next year with a weak recruiting class coming.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby feelthehorsepower » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:02 am

ponyinNC wrote:Jones inability or unwillingness to recruit in Texas will forever be his downfall. That falls squarely on the HC.

that UCF game following our win at TCU seemed like the point at which he stopped caring and just wanted to cash the paycheck. We never developed a QB aside from lucking into GG. So many failures- Bo Levi, Padron, McDermott, kaiser, now Burcham.

QB guru ? Please. Art briles is a QB guru.

Art Briles jumped into Baylor in 2008, same time as June Jones did at SMU.

Let's compare both of their trajectories, Of course Baylor was in the Big 12 and of course we were in CUSA at the time, but that is no excuse...TCU was in CUSA and Mountain West when they became a powerhouse program:

2008:
- Briles only won 4 games in 2008 against Aggy, Iowa State, Washington State and Northwestern State (all of them with losing records.)
- June Jones won only 1 game against Texas State (FCS team at the time)

2009:
- Briles went 4-8 again. Wins vs schools with losing records. Only win vs. a .500 school was against Mizzou. At this point, average attendance hovered around 32,000 (I adjusted a little bit for Texas, OK state type games)
- June went 8-5, taking us bowling for the first time since DP. Only win vs a winning record was against East Carolina, and of course Nevada in our bowl game. Attendance was 31k for the Stephen F Austin season opener. We got whooped by TCU at their house 39-14 and the next game at home attendance was 12k....rest of season attendance was similar.

2010:
- Briles goes 7-6 and bowling for the first time. They beat a Kansas State team that won 7 games in total and was their only win vs a winning program that year. They beat a 5-7 Texas team at their home which I think may be considered their turning point going forward...Attendance went up to 40k avg, while their least attended game brought 36k people.
- Jones goes 7-7 and we bowl again. We lost both the conference championship against UCF and the Armed Forces bowl against Army at our stadium by 2 points. Only high profile team we beat this year was Tulsa which won 10 games that year. TCU's Rose Bowl squad embarrased us at home 41-24...but gave us an attendance record. First time I saw a packed SMU house with our fans (28,000-30,000), although TCU did bring about 5,000 or so fans in there.

2011:
- Briles coming out year. They go 10-3 and RG3 wins the heisman. 3 losses came to ranked Kansas State, Aggy and OK State. Interesting about this year is Phil Bennett becomes DC. Fatterson at TCU has mentioned this week that he thinks Baylor's success depends heavily on their defense. (http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/11/26 ... ey-to.html) and this year...RG3 of course.
- Dear June goes 8-5 with a high profile win against a ranked TCU program...and that's it. Zach line and the others were probably a big reason we did well that year. We imploded after the UCF game and lost the rest except wins against Tulane and Rice. Probably his best year because we beat TCU.

2012:
- Briles goes 8-5, getting beat down badly by the Frog's debut in the big 12, 49-21. Losses were against elite Big 12 teams except he managed to beat down OK State and #1 ranked Kansas State that went 11-2 that year
- June debuts GG, we go 7-6...only beating high profile 11 win tulsa but losing to TULANE.

2013:
- Briles is 9-1. Baylor was ranked as high as #3 going into OK State. Injuries take their toll on their team as they went into that OK State game. Oh yes, they have an incoming recruiting class that is #26 in the nation. 6 years into Briles coaching gig at Baylor, their recruiting is elite.
- 5-6 SMU team. June gets shut out by Houston, 34-0. Garrett Gilbert has his best year ever stats wise. June gets shut out. 0 points. No offense, no defense, no special teams. We are back to square 1. Year 6 is supposed to be a breakaway year, not a recruiting the 100th class in the country
feelthehorsepower
Heisman

Postby couch 'em » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:12 pm

Dwan wrote:Never said I expected anything from this season. This is about what I expected. Just think we are heading into the off season, the program in getting worse and I don't think a new coach is the issue. I laugh at these statements of if we just had a young new dynamic coach, it will all come together. The issues are institutional.

We have institutional issues clearly, or June would have been gone at the ASU deal, not because he interviewed but because his lack of recruiting was clear. With decent recruiting we could be a pretty strong team. That's on June. It couldn't have been forseen when we hired him.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:34 pm

Dwan wrote:Never said I expected anything from this season. This is about what I expected. Just think we are heading into the off season, the program in getting worse and I don't think a new coach is the issue. I laugh at these statements of if we just had a young new dynamic coach, it will all come together. The issues are institutional.

Since admission issues have been resolved what specifically are the institutional issues that you are referring to? If the hoops team can get a 2 five star recruits in this institution can't the the football team get some highly regarded incoming freshmen over a 6 year period?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

PreviousNext

Return to Football