PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Swimming and Diving

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Swimming and Diving

Postby Water Pony » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:53 pm

Esprit de corps

Recreating the team culture from the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s is one important element. Recruiting a few high performers is another. Our men team's rich history helped attract women swimmers and divers, when SMU launched this program.

Mu Sigma Delta (Mustang Swimmers & Divers) was the result. This was swimming's Pony Express in its day. This will take time and a fresh approach to identfy recruits at national level with added depth needed for relays and multiple entrants in every event. Creating more excitement is needed, combined with our new, competive facility and the benefits of an SMU degree and Dallas. It can be done.
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mtrout » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:45 pm

Sounds good. Lets do it!
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:28 pm

Looks like we should have skipped the swimming building, saved 30 million, and established a men's and women's lacrosse team where we already had a field, and competed in a sport our students care about.
gostangs

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:50 pm

PoconoPony wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:
PoconoPony wrote:Things will turn around; however, we will always face the challenge of finding international caliber kids who can afford all or part of an SMU tuition and have the grades that could generate some additional schollie help. As a minor sport almost no swimmer is afforded a full ship and it is a real juggling act to get a kid into school, provide some athletic assistance and then find academic help making it possible to attend if they cannot financially afford SMU.

I didn’t know this Pocono.

You’re telling me our school just dropped $30M on new facilities but won’t give 10-20 scholarships to kids so we can compete at the highest levels?

Most likely quality students, who, if history is any indicator, give back generously to our school.

Seems like a big contradiction. What am I missing?

All sports have scholarship limits established by the NCAA. I believe swimming is set at 11 ( football 85, basketball 13). Based on NCAA guidelines and SMU costs a figure is established as to the value of an SMU scholarship. The coaches of all the "minor" sports are then given a pot of $$$$ equal to the value of their scholarships. It is then incumbent on each program to distribute the $$$ as they see fit based on a case-by-case basis for each athlete under consideration. Programs usually re-evaluate and readjust the assistance every year. Again, each coach has discretion as to their individual policy. The depth issue really affects the private colleges more as the costs are some times triple that of public schools. Hence, kids at the public schools would have far less costs to attend when only partial assistance is offered and when full scholarships are not available. With 1/2 scholarship at SMU a kid still needs $30,000 per year unless academic help also is available. At a public school a 1/2 scholarship would leave a kid with $12/15,000 to fund ( SMU $60,000 more over 4 years). ( You can also see this very much with the women's track program where we have almost no depth in contrast to Texas or TAMU. ) Several years back we had a great male breast stroker. who was an NCAA finalist, transfer his senior year from Arizona because he was attending with no athletic assistance and his parents had fallen on hard times and could not further attend AZ. The ideal athlete is a high standing student who can get academic assistance coupled with athletic assistance to cover most of the costs. The reality is that these top kids are also the targets of the top public schools as well as ND, Stanford, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Princeton which makes recruiting difficult. The good news is that our new facility will make top kids consider SMU.

Thanks for replying. So does a school like Stanford use its 'Sports Endowment' to help fund their expensive tuition for these type of athletes or is that considered an unfair advantage?
SoCal_Pony

Postby ponyswim » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:23 pm

Stanford's awesome sports endowment would only help them fund the scholarships that for Athletics - in swimming's case - 9.9 in men and 14 in women. They would not be able to have more than that for swimming.
BUT, if a swimmer can also qualify for (as an example) $30,000 in academic or other aid, they can get maybe 30% for swimming, and the cost for the swimmer to go to Stanford might be $30,000 - very affordable for many swimming parents.
Schools like Southern Cal, Stanford, Florida, Georgia and many more have lots more academic aid that their coaches can combine with swimming scholarships to really help them keep costs down for the partial scholarship sports (swimming, baseball, soccer.)
ponyswim
Varsity

Postby PoconoPony » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:06 pm

gostangs wrote:Looks like we should have skipped the swimming building, saved 30 million, and established a men's and women's lacrosse team where we already had a field, and competed in a sport our students care about.

Former swimmers paid almost entirely for the the new facility. They put up so everyone else should shut up. If you want lacrosse which is a worthy sport, then put up the $$$
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Water Pony » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:52 pm

BTW, SMU has already opened a lacrosse field:
https://www.smu.edu/News/2016/crum-lacr ... -24feb2016

And, I love lacrosse, as my son played this sport for SMU. As for getting going Varsity, LAX for Men and Women would be awesome. It is a great spectator sport.

And thanks, Pocono, for highlighing that alums and friends of SMU Swmming & Diving made the new Aquatic Center possible.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby smusportspage » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:13 am

gostangs wrote:Looks like we should have skipped the swimming building, saved 30 million, and established a men's and women's lacrosse team where we already had a field, and competed in a sport our students care about.

Get the money like the swimmers did and you can have it.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby mathman » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:03 pm

Water Pony, just ignore this type of comment. I have followed SMU for over 50 years (graduated in 68) and have always been proud of the swimming and diving program we have had. It's a shame the school allowed the facilities to decline as much they have and was thankful to see the swimming and diving alumni put up the money to have a state of the art facility built. They have our sincere gratitude.
When will I start feeling stimulated??
mathman
Heisman

Postby Water Pony » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:48 pm

mathman wrote:

Water Pony, just ignore this type of comment. I have followed SMU for over 50 years (graduated in 68) and have always been proud of the swimming and diving program we have had. It's a shame the school allowed the facilities to decline as much they have and was thankful to see the swimming and diving alumni put up the money to have a state of the art facility built. They have our sincere gratitude.

Thanks, Mathman

BTW, I also graduated in '68 and encourage you to attend this 8) May 50th Reunion of our Class of Golden Mustangs.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby EastStang » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:13 pm

Actually to add men's and women's lacrosse, you have to add another 1/2 a women's sport due to Title IX. So, what other women's sport do you want to fund in addition to these two teams? Beach volleyball would be nice. Don't see us adding bowling, or shooting, or skiing.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby mrydel » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:55 pm

Really need cheerleading to be sanctioned as a sport.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby PerunasHoof » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:22 pm

mrydel wrote:Really need cheerleading to be sanctioned as a sport.

TCU has beach volleyball. If cheerleading doesn't make the cut, I would get behind adding beach volleyball!
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby mrydel » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:40 pm

Beach volleyball is always a first choice
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:49 pm

I love beach volleyball
One Trick Pony