PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

MBB v Temple Game Thread

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: MBB v Temple Game Thread

Postby PonyPride » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:55 pm

mustangxc wrote:We are 1/5 since. I'm not so worried about a small snapshot and understand you go hot and cold at different points in the game. However, knowing game situations is important too. When you are up 9-10+ points, you don't need to launch 3s as you are up. You need to play great defense, make lots of great passes to find the open man, and that helps consume clock for the possession without actually worrying about consuming clock which tends to have detrimental effects. Good shooters that are open should be shooting 3s, but too often our offense consists of a fast break that ends with any one of our players shooting a wild 3 with the other team recovering the rebound only to capitalize on a fast break that ends with a layup or dunk and the and 1.

If we had a LIKE button, I'd hit it.
Good stuff.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyPride » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:07 pm

FINAL
SMU 79, Temple 68
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby mustangxc » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:11 pm

Not to pick on Feron Hunt, but he has no business shooting the 3. He was 2/10 coming in to this game. He was 0/5 today for a season total of 2/15. Good coaching involves telling him never to shoot the 3, even if he is wide open. He finished the game 5/13 on FGs which is terrible for a big. Take away the 3 PT attempts and he had a very efficient 5/8 game with a very respectable 6/8 FTs. This team lacks discipline, and that is 100% coaching. I am also starting to believe we are less talented than it appeared and that I had hoped. We have success against horrible non-conference teams and bottom AAC teams. This team really does need Tyson Jolly in order to make the NCAA tournament. As it stands, I think we will beat all the bottom dwellers in this conference and struggle against the middle/upper echelon teams. I'm thinking we finish the season 14-10 (10-10).
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:57 pm

mustangxc wrote:Not to pick on Feron Hunt, but he has no business shooting the 3. He was 2/10 coming in to this game. He was 0/5 today for a season total of 2/15. Good coaching involves telling him never to shoot the 3, even if he is wide open. He finished the game 5/13 on FGs which is terrible for a big. Take away the 3 PT attempts and he had a very efficient 5/8 game with a very respectable 6/8 FTs. This team lacks discipline, and that is 100% coaching. I am also starting to believe we are less talented than it appeared and that I had hoped. We have success against horrible non-conference teams and bottom AAC teams. This team really does need Tyson Jolly in order to make the NCAA tournament. As it stands, I think we will beat all the bottom dwellers in this conference and struggle against the middle/upper echelon teams. I'm thinking we finish the season 14-10 (10-10).

I'm inclined to agree. Hunt puts up another double/double marred only by his poor 3 point shooting. I'd love to see what he could do playing Dennis Rodman style basketball...just aggressively running the floor, hitting the boards and getting easy points in the paint. Playing together, this team is much better than it's individual parts but guys need to know their roles and play to their strengths. Coaching is a big part of instilling that discipline. I would love to know what Larry Brown could accomplish with this roster.
Last edited by Charleston Pony on Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charleston Pony

Postby Terry Webster » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:34 pm

They also need to figure out how to play when they have a lead.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:08 am

We.
ponyboy

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:38 am

Granted it was Temple but this is a different team when Bandoumel and McNeill are hitting shots. Just based on the box score, Bandoumel may have played one of his best games as a Mustang yesterday
Charleston Pony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:03 am

Terry Webster wrote:They also need to figure out how to play when they have a lead.

We definitely have had problems with a few things for the past three or four seasons like playing with a lead, having some sort of focus on an offensive scheme, defensive lapses, and free throws.

Hopefully we can get those corrected for a tournament run! Go Ponies!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby JasonB » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:18 am

Hunt was yanked twice during the game after taking bad threes.

After that happened, everyone on the team started hesitating on shots and pulling the ball back and not taking quick threes.

Benching Hunt after those shots might have a big impact on the team. We will see how it works out.

The zone also worked. We haven't gone to that this season, but did once Jasey and Yor were in foul trouble. Playing zone from time to time, especially when Yor is in the game, might really help us out because it makes him stay home around the rim.

Pick and roll is nice, but you have to be able to give it to the big guy when both players double Davis. We never made the pass.
JasonB

Postby mustangxc » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:26 am

Charleston Pony wrote:Granted it was Temple but this is a different team when Bandoumel and McNeill are hitting shots. Just based on the box score, Bandoumel may have played one of his best games as a Mustang yesterday

That is the thing, it was against Temple. Bandoumel is a very good mid-major player. Whenever we play inferior teams he looks like a stud. Whenever we face upper level teams he completely disappears. The only true high major talent we have is KD. I'll give Anei the benefit of the doubt. The others need to prove it. I think Jolly is a high major talent but he is probably not coming back.
mustangxc

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:03 pm

JasonB wrote:Benching Hunt after those shots might have a big impact on the team. We will see how it works out.

I totally agree. That could be the turning point.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby ponyboy » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:49 pm

IWhat was Hunt's body language after that happened?
ponyboy

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:02 pm

Bottom line is that this team has some nice pieces and if they could put it all together, play to and utilize each individual's strengths they would be a really tough out for any team in the AAC. We just haven't seen that happening yet.
Charleston Pony

Previous

Return to Basketball